What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

moving files to iPad

HHV

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I move my files from my pc to the iPad? These would be mostly pdf files I would like to take with me on the iPad.

Rasputina

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For pdf's you need to import them with the app you plan to use to read them. For example, I use good reader. One method is to dock your ipad to your computer. In tunes go to the ipads applications page, at the bottom is listed the apps that you can load docs to. Click on goodreader, then click the button for adding files, find the file you want to sync and choose it and it adds it.

If you are using mobile me, you can just access it directly on the ipad within the goodreader application and download from there.

ncbrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
importing files

How do I move my files from my pc to the iPad? These would be mostly pdf files I would like to take with me on the iPad.

Download "calibre" and click on "add file", find your PDF file and then click "Convert to Ebook". After the pdf is converted to an Ebook open Itunes and move the file to your library then Sync the Ipad and you will have the PDF file as an E-book. Open Books and there it is.

Let me know if you have any trouble.

NCBrew

walterh1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Transferring files to iPad

For read-only files, I use the app “MobileStudioâ€. It requires a WiFi connection since one needs access to the files on the computer. (Open the app on iPad and it will display a URL. Insert the URL in your desktop browser, GO, then move the file to that location. You will be able to view the transfer on the iPad app). I also use this method with the iPhone for .pdf, .doc, .mp3,.jpg...

For files I want to modify, I use Pages and transfer them from my desktop using email (attachment). There are 2 other ways to make the transfer, but I don’t yet understand either.

I am not all that savvy, but it works.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
An easy way is to use the iPad's 'Swiss Army Knife' app, GoodReader. It will allow you to transfer any file to the iPad using either USB or WiFi directly - iTunes is not involved. From within GoodReader you can organise your files in folders and then open any document/video etc in the appropriate app.

It's consistently voted the number one 'must have' app by iPad Forum members and is highly rated in the reviews at the App Store.

Tim
Scotland

mlrchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am having issues with GoodReader, Google docs, etc. for transferring files from my PC to my iPad because the files will change formats. In Excel I have had missing data, in PPT the fonts and spacing change and things become all jumbled. Is there a way to transfer the files and get them in their original format? The other issue I have is that I need to transfer them from a work PC where I cant install iTunes or Dropbox because of download restrictions. Any ideas?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am having issues with GoodReader, Google docs, etc. for transferring files from my PC to my iPad because the files will change formats. In Excel I have had missing data, in PPT the fonts and spacing change and things become all jumbled. Is there a way to transfer the files and get them in their original format? The other issue I have is that I need to transfer them from a work PC where I cant install iTunes or Dropbox because of download restrictions. Any ideas?

Email them to yourself and then access your email on the ipad and then use the 'open in' function for goodreader or other compatible app...ie pages, numbers..etc.

Reaction score
mlrchi said:

As of now, there is no full-blown desktop-style office suite. Especially if you have complex documents, is there a high chance that they will look different on your iPad. This is a restriction of current office apps. Some apps do a better job at displaying documents then others, but so far none will show them the exact same way.

mlrchi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I have tried so many ways to get the document onto the iPad but some of the words on the PPT are jumbled. I guess I need to just figure out which ones have the least amount of errors. I was really hoping to not have to take my laptop on the road anymore!!!

sinashin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1: Connect your computer to the iPad using the USB cable
2: Launch iTunes on the computer
3: In the Devices section of the left-hand menu on iTunes select iPad
4: Click on the Apps tab
5: In the File Sharing section you can see a list of apps that support file sharing on your iPad. Click on an app and you will see a list of the documents for that app on your iPad
6: To copy a file to your computer to the iPad simply drag and drop it from the document list onto the Desktop or another folder. Alternatively, click on the Save to... button and save the file as normal.

Moreover,i'd like to share you a article about how to transfer or move files from iPad to computer, which can help you backup all iPad files to your computer and keep them safe.
Hopefully this works for all of you like it just worked for me!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts