What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies

Lutfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I just want to know how to transfer DVDs fro my PC to iPad, thanx

peled

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very simple.
Open iTunes
Connect the iPad
Open the movie folder on the PC
Drag the movie to the idevice area. In the iTunes application

Remember. Only MP3 movies

OP
L

Lutfi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the info. What if the original file is DVD, how to convert, any specific app?

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I prefer HandBrake, but there are several ways to go. No matter what the method you use, you will find that it takes a long time to convert to the iPad format. A DVD may take several hours, depending on your processor.

geohot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Converting movies from a DVD and putting them on an iPad is alot of time and effort spent on too much work and less movie viewing. I personally prefer just using a solid reliable app from Cydia like the bigU Movies app or uWatch app which in my opinion is more suitable for my lifestyle. I don't have the time to rip DVDs and convert each movie but if you do then more power to you. Just my thoughts on this matter.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very simple.
Open iTunes
Connect the iPad
Open the movie folder on the PC
Drag the movie to the idevice area. In the iTunes application

Remember. Only MP3 movies

iTunes supports a variety of video formats, and it also depends on which device you're uploading your videos to. For the iPad, this is the tech specs from Apple:

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I actually enjoyed learning the DVD rip procedures and have been slowly ripping my large DVD collection.

It can be frustrating at first but once you find some good tools it can be a lot of fun.

I use Slysofts products. They are not free but after struggling with fine tuning free programs I gladly threw them a few dollars to streamline the process.

fva432010

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pingles said:
I actually enjoyed learning the DVD rip procedures and have been slowly ripping my large DVD collection.

It can be frustrating at first but once you find some good tools it can be a lot of fun.

I use Slysofts products. They are not free but after struggling with fine tuning free programs I gladly threw them a few dollars to streamline the process.

Which program and settings are working best for you?

Pingles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Slysoft's AnyDVD to remove the protection from the movie (it's automatic, in your system tray) and then CloneDVDMobile to rip the movie to a format for my iPad.

It has pre-sets of settings which work great. You can also customize to the resolution you want.

It was the first combo of products where I did not get lip-sync errors on a regular basis.

I tried IMTOO which was great on the first few movies I tried so I bought it but then I started getting lipsync problems.

I didn't link to the products because I think they scan for links in this forum and occasionally pull them out.

Slysoft used to give lifetime updates to their products but now limit to one year of updates then you have to renew. You can still use the program for ever, yo just don't get any updates. A bummer. I have not run into any issues so I have not renewed my updates.

trublu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering how you convert them, So handbrake it is.

cogboot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd give Handbrake a nine out of ten rating. It works very well..... Most of the time. Out of the one-hundred odd DVD's that I am presently busy converting to the MP4 format for viewing on the iPad and for streaming to the TV on my sparkling new Boxee streamer device, about three or four DVD's have failed to convert. Interestingly, the ones that don't convert are not of particular interest to me, sheer coincidence but interesting nonetheless...

C

Most reactions

Latest posts