What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movies from usb stick to ipad

robo 4g63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello im new and sorry i didnt use search button my internet is running slow.

i have a usb stick with loads of movies on and i have the usb to ipad adapter but what app can i use to play them. Im not going to jailbreak it.

thankyou very much

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello im new and sorry i didnt use search button my internet is running slow.

i have a usb stick with loads of movies on and i have the usb to ipad adapter but what app can i use to play them. Im not going to jailbreak it.

thankyou very much

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Thanks for your question. The iPad's native 'Videos' app can play a wide range of movies; it depends what format they're in. Another good player that can handle a wide variety of formats is oPlayer - have a look at it in the app store.

If you let us know the format of the movies that you have on your USB stick, we can give you some better advice.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

OP
R

robo 4g63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello thankyou for the reply, looks like a really good site.

im not very good with computers and they are just ripped dvd's movies if that helps

thankyou

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello thankyou for the reply, looks like a really good site.

im not very good with computers and they are just ripped dvd's movies if that helps

thankyou

OK - you probably going to have to convert them to a format that the iPad can handle - there are numerous format converters available in the app store - some free and some you need to pay for. You'll see numerous discussions in the Forum on converting video files to play on the iPad and lots of advice on how to do this.

Have a look here

Convert DVD to iPad, How to rip convert DVD to iPad video

and here

DVD to iPad Converter: Rip/Convert DVD to iPad Losslessly for Watching

to start with.

Don't hesitate to get back to us if there's any more help that you need. The bottom line is though that you're probably going to have to convert the existing files that you've got.

Tim
Scotland

NakedFaerie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You forgot to say it also depends on the USB stick as some now refuse to be read on the newer firmwares.
I have 4 USB sticks that all worked fine on firmware 3.2.1 but since I updated to 4.2.1 they all now refuse to work coming up with a "the device uses too much power" error.
If anyone has found a way around this error I would like to hear it. The only way I know is to downgrade back to 3.2.1 as all 4.* firmwares have this error.

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ya, with the 4.x firmwares apple reduced the amount of current allowed to be drawn. People who were using multi media card readers for other formats besides SD cards discovered this change as well.

For the OP, another great free converting program is Handbrake. I have loaded a few movies directly onto my ipad and they play great. One thing to know is that there will be black bars above and below the movie due to the 4:3 aspect ratio as most movies are 16:9 these days. There is an icon in the upper right corner that will zoom in and make it so the movie plays on the entire screen but you will loose portions of the movie on both sides. The nice thing about jailbraking your ipad is that there are several apps that you can install that will not require you to convert the movies to a different format saving you all that time and hassle... just something to think about.

Last edited:

Spelmanite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad and movies

Someone just told me that I could transfer the movies from my iPad to some device and use some device to plug into my iPad to watch in an effort to clear up space. Excuse my ignorance but can anyone give me the proper names of devices aand where to purchase.

Thanks

Moorius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you kikithank!

Will this process work with these new wifi enabled external hard drives?

Regards

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Moorius said:
Thank you kikithank!

Will this process work with these new wifi enabled external hard drives?

Regards

Most of the wifi enabled HDs have their own apps, so in actuality are much easier to get going. I have a Kingston Wi Drive, and it works well with the Wi Drive app. FileBrowser and Goodreader can also access the drive whilst connected. No need to dabble with renaming files, etc. if not using the CCK.

sintink

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm sorry if my question is off topics, but I think basically it's similar.

I'm new with iPad, i got this iPad just a couple month ago.
Mine is 16gb wifi. In my city wifi isn't a common things, then I think I need HD external so i can go mobile with my docs since I can't use cloud.
Is it can be done, to connect a external HD to iPad 2 before I buy that connection kit?
I don't want to wasting any money, you know.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
sintink said:
I'm sorry if my question is off topics, but I think basically it's similar.

I'm new with iPad, i got this iPad just a couple month ago.
Mine is 16gb wifi. In my city wifi isn't a common things, then I think I need HD external so i can go mobile with my docs since I can't use cloud.
Is it can be done, to connect a external HD to iPad 2 before I buy that connection kit?
I don't want to wasting any money, you know.

Yes, but it needs to be a portable drive with wifi built in like the Seagate Go Flex Satellite or Kington Wi Drive. You cannot hard wire a regular portable drive with ease.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Yes, but it needs to be a portable drive with wifi built in like the Seagate Go Flex Satellite or Kington Wi Drive. You cannot hard wire a regular portable drive with ease.

Plus one for your suggestion dhewson777. I have Seagate Goflex Satellite wifi drive and it is super.

Here is a little bit of info on that product:

Attachments

• image-4001553928.jpg
    image-4001553928.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

Most reactions