What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie that plays in iTunes won't transfer.

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an movie that I captured from my HDPVR using Haupage hardware. I converted the file to MP4 and dropped it into iTunes where it plays perfectly. When I try to move it over to my iPad or Apple TV1 (by dragging and dropping) I get the green "+" sign but nothing happens. Apple support told me to use the "advanced" tab to "convert to an iPad or Apple TV version. The resulting file had it's resolution essentially cut in half. Why should I have to accept a substandard video if I want to play it on my Apple TV or iPad 2?

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad is fairly 'fussy' in what it can and cannot play. Whereas a PC or Mac will adapt to the file format in most cases, the iPad needs it to be just right. You'll probably need to convert the file format to be compatible with the iPad. Most members use a free app called Handbrake on their PC which has special iPad converter settings. There are plenty of other (free) tools too, so have a look at Handbrake or use the search facility at iPad Forum to look for the other recommendations. It takes a little while to get the settings just right the first time but then it's straightforward.

The other possibility is to use a third party video player, such as oPlayer, on your iPad. oPlayer is far more flexible in terms of the video formats it can accept.

Tim

OP
G

gdg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I used Handbrake to convert the original 6 gig file to a 3 gig mp4 file (which plays in itunes just fine) and which I was then forced to convert to an iPad version that reduced it down to 1.5 gigs. That seems like garbage to me and more apple crap meant to discourage using anything not purchased in the apple store.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts