What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Movie App Suggestions

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I should be clear about something. I'm looking for an app that would allow me to download into my iPad (when I get it). I'm not really interested in streaming.

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes has movies for purchase and rent. I've downloaded one movie to my iPad. It's pretty easy to do, but is not a quick process. They also take up a chunk of space.

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iTunes has movies for purchase and rent. I've downloaded one movie to my iPad. It's pretty easy to do, but is not a quick process. They also take up a chunk of space.

Do you know how much the space the average movie (if purchased) would take up? My iPad's on the way and it's got 64 Gigs.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com

Do you know how much the space the average movie (if purchased) would take up? My iPad's on the way and it's got 64 Gigs.

Movies are about 1.2gig to 2.0gig on average

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appsempire said:

I've been ripping DVD's that I already own so I can play them on my iPad1 and they are great quality with each file being around 1.2GB give or take. Depends on the length of the movie.

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Knightoftheapp

Knightoftheapp

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow! My iPad is coming soon, and even at 64GB that would be used up real fast!

sgtcasey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Appsempire said:
Wow! My iPad is coming soon, and even at 64GB that would be used up real fast!

Depends on how long you're going to be away from your PC. I keep about 6 different movies on my 64GB iPad depending on what I am in the mood to watch over the next few days.

Or you could stream as was just pointed out. :)

Dave

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Bigglesingreece

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yassas / Hi all,

I have been enjoying the first series of Blake's 7 on my 32Gb iPad and the BBC's "The Great War" with all episodes around 360 Mb for 40/50 mins and I used AVS Media to convert the original avi files. As I spend a lot of time sitting in my car while the wife/daughters/dogs visit doctors/shops/wherever, the iPad sits nicely atop the steering wheel airbag and I am no longer impatiently tapping the dashboard and sending hurry-up texts (the odd funny look from passing Greeks is entertainment enough). In standard definition, a 90-minute movie should not be much more than 700 Mb. High definition is more than double that but for old TV episodes (in these cases from the 60s and 70s) the choice is not there...yet.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Put the movies on your PC and then stream them to your iPad. There are free and paid apps for that. I like Air Video.

App Shopper: Air Video Free - Watch your videos anywhere! (Utilities) This is the free version. If you like it, there's a premium version for $2.99.

There's no need to pay for an app to stream movies from the PC to the iPad. You can simply set up home sharing. You can also stream music with iTunes home sharing.

Guide to Home Sharing

Don't forget Hulu Plus when counting down video apps. It's got a lot of great TV shows on it even if the movie collection is a bit low.

Most reactions