What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Move App Data from 1 device to another

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3 that is almost 5 years old. It is slowly dying and I am planning to clean it off and set it back to the original configuration. I have made a list of all my Apps and now what I need to re-install. One App that I use daily is the Johnson & Johnson 7 Minute Workout. It tracks my workouts and also allows me to set up custom workouts. I have decided to start using it on my Iphone. Unfortunately, there is no "official" way to transfer that data to my Iphone.
I do keep my Ipad backed up to my PC. Is there a way that I can transfer that data from my PC to my Iphone? Thanks.
Another question, kind of related. I noticed in the backups that I have on my PC that there are a lot of .IPA files that are taking up a lot of room. A lot of them look like the names of Apps that I have removed from the Ipad. Can I delete these from my PC? I assume that it shouldn't be a problem but wanted to check before I did it. Thanks, again.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Those IPA files are part of the iTunes library on your computer and are what allows you to restore from a backup. If you try to set up a new iPad from the backup of your iPad 3 after having deleted those ipa files, the apps will not be restored.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have an Ipad 3 that is almost 5 years old. It is slowly dying and I am planning to clean it off and set it back to the original configuration. I have made a list of all my Apps and now what I need to re-install. One App that I use daily is the Johnson & Johnson 7 Minute Workout. It tracks my workouts and also allows me to set up custom workouts. I have decided to start using it on my Iphone. Unfortunately, there is no "official" way to transfer that data to my Iphone.
I do keep my Ipad backed up to my PC. Is there a way that I can transfer that data from my PC to my Iphone? Thanks.

Hello - SciFan.. has already addressed your question about .ipa files. Concerning your first question above, I do not use the workout app, but just checked the App Store and there is an iPad & iPhone version - do you have the app on both of your devices? If so, the features description implies that 'integration' between devices can be done (see screen capture below); now, I'm not sure what that means nor whether you have checked w/ the developer's website, but a suggestion. Dave :)
IMG_8241.PNG

OP
D

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Those IPA files are part of the iTunes library on your computer and are what allows you to restore from a backup. If you try to set up a new iPad from the backup of your iPad 3 after having deleted those ipa files, the apps will not be restored.
Thanks Scifan. What I'm thinking is that a lot of those backed up IPA files are for Apps that I do not use, maybe downloaded something and decided I didn't like it. I'm OK with losing those. I just wanted to make sure that it was OK to remove them from the backup. Sounds like it would be. Thank you for your reply.

OP
D

donebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello - SciFan.. has already addressed your question about .ipa files. Concerning your first question above, I do not use the workout app, but just checked the App Store and there is an iPad & iPhone version - do you have the app on both of your devices? If so, the features description implies that 'integration' between devices can be done (see screen capture below); now, I'm not sure what that means nor whether you have checked w/ the developer's website, but a suggestion. Dave :)
View attachment 76560
Hi Giradman, I did check with the developer and they told me that there wasn't a way. What it shows on the App Store, I believe, refers to the ability to connect to the Health App on the device that you are using it on.
Even though the developer said that there wasn't a way to do it, I'm wondering if that is for the "normal" user. Now, I don't consider myself abnormal ;) I do know enough to be dangerous. I was wondering if I can copy that IPA file from the Ipad backup to my Iphone somehow and whether it works that way. I don't want to just try it, in case it messes up the phone somehow. Thanks for your input!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Giradman, I did check with the developer and they told me that there wasn't a way. What it shows on the App Store, I believe, refers to the ability to connect to the Health App on the device that you are using it on.
Even though the developer said that there wasn't a way to do it, I'm wondering if that is for the "normal" user. Now, I don't consider myself abnormal ;) I do know enough to be dangerous. I was wondering if I can copy that IPA file from the Ipad backup to my Iphone somehow and whether it works that way. I don't want to just try it, in case it messes up the phone somehow. Thanks for your input!

Thanks for the info from the developer - the statement that I circled previously seems misleading, just saying?

NOW, concerning your IPA file suggestion, I have no idea whether this would work, but if you want to try, make sure your devices are backed up and can be restored - about all that I can say, sorry. Dave :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
App IPA files don't contain any app data, they're just the installation files for the apps themselves. App data is contained in an iPad backup but can't be separately extracted and used in an iPhone or other iOS device. The only way to get the app data from one device to another is to restore one device from the backup of another. Also, when restoring, you can't use a backup from a device on an iOS version newer than the one on the device being restored.

bianli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, we can use iTunes to move app data from one iPad to another one. But it's not convenient. Nowdays, we can use mobile transfer program to do the data transfer between iPads.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, we can use iTunes to move app data from one iPad to another one. But it's not convenient. Nowdays, we can use mobile transfer program to do the data transfer between iPads.
You can't do it unless you restore a device from the backup of another. There is no way to extract the app data and transfer it separately.

Most reactions

Latest posts