What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.MOV short films, DropBox

vmsda

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A member of my family shares small movies done with a Canon câmera via DropBox. I can view them quite well on my PC running Ubuntu. However, on my iPad2, each movie takes ages to load, shows 1 or 2secs every once in a while, anything but practical or enjoyable. Any hints, please?

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, can't help but am adding my plea to yours. I am buying a Canon SX230 but have tried to load some video taken on a friend's SX220 (same with no GPS) both via the Camera Connection Kit and via Dropbox with no luck. The CCK load puts a file into the Photos program but it's just a square grey box with .MOV written on it and it doesn't play at all. The first video I loaded via Dropbox does exactly as you describe - just a couple of seconds then a frozen image. It's really frustrating!

One question - are you running iOS5 or not? I have not upgraded yet and am still on iOS4. I have found some info which seems to indicate that this may be fixed in iOS5 as there seems to have been a change in the types of video which are supported by the iPad2. If you are on iOS4, this might indicate that we both need to upgrade! If anyone has any clues to this they would be gratefully received.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

tfmoore

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all. Would also value some advice, uploaded some .wmv files to dropbox and would like to play on my iPad. Are they compatable and how do I get them from Dropbox? Dropbox mention using the favourite button? Also do I need to buy a certain app to play these files? Many thanks

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The .mov and .wmv formats cannot be played using the video player that comes with the ipad. Have a look here http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/
I suspect you ran out of memory because the ipad tried to convert your .mov to a compatible format and that's why you were able to see a few seconds of it. But, movie conversion takes a lot of memory.
Several companies sell conversion programs and there are also some free programs. You may want to search the forum for what others recommend. Also, a google search for ipad movie conversion will provide some good options.
The alternative to converting is to use a player app that will play your movies without converting them. I use Buzz Player HD and find it meets my needs. It will play the .mov and .wmv formats.
Hope this helps.

Pinmac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
drb_52 thanks for your advice. Strangely, my videos are now playing OK in Dropbox. But to play on the iPad rather than via wifi I downloaded OPlayerHD and they play on this. It's a bit clunky though so I might try Buzz Player, Azul Media Player or AV Player which I have also come across and appear to play many video types including .mov and .wmv.

drb_52

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't know dropbox would play movies. I use it to transfer files between ipad and computers. I have my movies/music/photos stored on a network drive and just use buzz player to play them without storing them on the ipad
I'll have to move one into dropbox and see what happens.

Most reactions

Latest posts