Motorola Xoom priced at $800 at a minimum, according to Verizon leak

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by xune, Jan 21, 2011.

1. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Motorola Xoom priced at $800 at a minimum, according to Verizon leak -- Engadget
  2. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whoa.....definitely NOT worth it!!!!!

You know the saying.

"A Fool and their money are soon parted"
  3. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Ditto that...US$800 for the Motorola Xoom Tablet? It had better be @ least 64Gig and have wifi/3G capability. That is a huge price tag to have freedom to customize, flash capability, front & back cameras, memory expansion slots.

I have an iPad that has been working for me now for over six months. Ive spent every day on this device. It has served me well. While, I am hopeful that the Motorola Xoom succeeds as a worthy competitor to the iPad, but unlike Apple, where you get 6 different models for 6 different prices, an $800 price tag doesn't seem to me like Motorola wants to sell them to everyone.
  4. Djdan

Djdan iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Engadget went back and saying price point will likely be $700 for 32gb.
  5. xune

xune iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Cnet: Reasons the Motorola Xoom may fall flat

Reasons the Motorola Xoom may fall flat | Crave - CNET
  6. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    Thanks Xune For Posting

Thank you for this article. I hope Motorola heeds these wise comments and not fall into the greed trap. It is ironic that many Android fans who have posted such glowing comments of the freedom to do what you like with this product would end up with a standard bearer that would only be available to the elite. If only a few people can afford it, would that not be the ultimate close end operating system?
  7. Digikid

Digikid iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0

STILL too expensive.
  8. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I think if I can sum up why the Xoom will suck in one word: Verizon. That's pretty much all that needs to be said.
  9. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    You guys do realize that the tech specs of the Xoom are much better than the iPad and it's $20 cheaper than the 32GB 3G iPad right? So you should also say the iPad is too expensive. Also, the $700 price is unsubsidized, if you get a data plan the price is expected to be $299. Also the Wi-Fi version will be cheaper as well.

How will Verizon make it suck? They have already said it will be a stock Android OS and not skinned by Verizon. If you are talking about the service, AT&T is MUCH worse than Verizon.
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  10. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do think the price is competitive although I personally feel both tablets are overpriced given the hardware inside. I would have liked to see Motorola come in with a little lower price, but considering what 3G enabled iPad models retail for this price seems to be on the mark.
  11. MsJoanne

MsJoanne iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, but it does have those things

I have an iPad and mostly love it, but not having Flash is huge. There are entire websites developed in Flash, not just videos.

The price for the Xoom is not that far off of what I paid for my iPad (in either of it's guesstimated price points). The problem is, and why I am married to Apple and AT&T is the unlimited data plan, which is month-to-month (not that I am looking to cancel it, but that unlimited and non-comitted data plan forces me to keep the iPad). At that point, I will probably give up my iPhone, too, and go to something else.

I am sure the frustration I feel of having a fraction of the internet available to me is going to make me sever those ties eventually. Perhaps, the hotels I stay at in my way too many business trips will actually get wifi that functions and I can blow off a data plan completely. Until that happens, I am stuck.

And I hate it. As a consumer, I do not have choices, unless I want to pay a fortune.

Ah, love that free market. None of this feels free at all.
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  12. iChuckNorris

iChuckNorris iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even though I recently purchased an iPad, I am looking forward to the Xoom since it will be the real first Android-based iPad competitor. I have an Android phone and love it, but I'm more interested in real competition in the tablet market.
  13. Superbike81

Superbike81 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm hoping we hear some news on the Wi-Fi only version here pretty soon. I've already got my rooted Android phone with wireless tethering, so I don't need another data device. The Wi-Fi only version will be perfect.