Mother Bequeaths iPad to Sons, Apple Refuses to Unlock it

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 6, 2014.

By RaduTyrsina on Mar 6, 2014 at 5:16 AM
  1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina
    Expand Collapse
    News Team

Thanks Received:

_73387086_josh-5.jpg

Andrea Grant, a 59-year-old woman from the UK, passed away due to cancer and she left her sons Josh and Patrick as the co-executors of her will and estate. Grant wanted her estate to be equally split among her five boys.The brothers decide that the eldest son, Patrick, should receive the iPad that she was using. However, neither one of the brothers did not know the Apple ID and password needed to unlock the iPad.

After having requested Apple to unlock the iPad, they had to turn over a death certificate, copy of the will and an attorney's letter, but this wasn’t enough as Apple was asking for written consent - which was obviously impossible -, or a court order in order to unlock the tablet. One of the brothers, Josh Grant, says the following:

Apple’s security measures for such situations are designed to prevent unauthorised access to Apple users' online iCloud accounts, which could include personal information, such as documents, photos and messages. We can only hope that Apple will make an exception in this case, since it has already been written and spoken about on many important online outlets. Grant also said the following on his personal blog:

What we can learn from this is that if you plan on bequeathing your Apple device, then you need to make sure that you include the Apple ID and password, as well.

Source: Independent

Comments

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ser Aphim
      Ser Aphim
      I think this is stupid. Apple should allow and exception to things like this!
    2. leelai
      leelai
      Apple has really dropped the ball here.

Fancy asking for the Will, Death Certificate and an Attorney's letter and then after the family complies they ask for more.

Just not nice at all to do this to them at this time!
    3. scifan57
      scifan57
      A court appointed executor of an estate has full legal authority to conduct any business on behalf of the estate. Apple does not have a legitimate reason to refuse the executors request.

The sad thing is, it will probably take someone willing and able to take Apple to court over this to get them to change their policy.
    4. Ser Aphim
      Ser Aphim
      The problem with security freaks like apple, they are just too hard headed.
    5. parcas1
      parcas1
      Snag is, executing a will requires legal proof of a death and legal title in most countries. Here in the UK I am following probate for my late Mother's will and the paperwork and personal identity proof I have had to provide to close down a joint account we held has been extensive and annoying, but ultimately it protects Mum's estate and the bank.

And you can imagine the Applephobes who are leaping all over this - predictably The Independent here in the UK, probably the BBC eventually - if Apple just handed over the details without all the 'duty of care' legal stuff.

And there is a potential court case whether leaving a computer as property includes the information locked in the computer by its owner, my non-legal mind tells me.
    6. ardchoille
      ardchoille
      I believe part of the issue is the example this will set. If Apple were to simply comply after seeing a few pieces of paperwork, it could open the door for thieves to simply start fabricating all manner of fake paperwork after stealing iOS devices. Document fabrication could become a very lucrative business.

I think Apple is trying to avoid setting some dangerous examples.
    7. Poisonivy
      Poisonivy
      I agree with you Ard.
    8. skimonkey
      skimonkey
      Just me....but....Somehow I feel that there is more to this story than what is being said here.
    9. ardchoille
      ardchoille
      It's not just you, I agree 100%.