What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mostly happy iPad 2 owner

philipbellenoit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi. I'm an instructional technology teacher at an elementary school and also a graduate student. I just bought and iPad 2 because I thought the iPad would be more comfortable to read with. I don't like sitting at a computer to read and so far I really like my iPad 2 for that purpose. Another reason for choosing an iPad was for the potential access to the many education applications available in the App Store.

One thing that's annoying me has to do with the inability to choose font substitutions or to uninstall a certain font. Which category should I post my font question? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would post the font question in the Help section, but I know of no way of doing this - or at least controlling it.

Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

Please read the rules too!!

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Tim
Scotland

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off - welcome to the forum. Good to "see" ya!

About fonts: If it's a system font, then there is nothing you can do to change the font. Well, for the Notes app, you can go to Settings and choose from about 3 or 4 different fonts, that I recall. Otherwise, no way to change the font.

If you are using an e-book reader like iBooks or the Kindle app, there may be some fonts you can choose from. Usually, that option will be found in the app's settings (within the app). But, for both the system and e-reader fonts - there's no way to delete a font that's loaded on the system.

But, I kind of lied. There IS a way to change all fonts (including system) - but that's only if you're jailbroken and have installed a tweak called BytaFont from Cydia. I have to throw that part in there ... else the other hackers will call me out and tell you/me that I didn't mention that part.... :)

But, on a stock iPad, no, you can't delete fonts and changing them is very limited, if at all.

Sorry I wasn't of better help - or that I don't have a more satisfactory reply.

m

OP
P

philipbellenoit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the manual and I've read the forum rules. Thanks.

About my font issue, I've searched and didn't find anything. While I have your attention, I might as well ask my question. I will start a thread if you can't help, and if you can help, I'll post the solution in the help section in case anyone else runs into the same issue.

We use an Exchange server in my school district, and I use the iPad email client to check my mail. If someone uses the Comic Sans font in their email, my iPad substitutes it with a flourishy script (I think Snell Roundhand), which is very hard to read.

I can't find a setting for a default font substitution. If there isn't such a setting, can I just delete Snell Roundhand and pray that my iPad chooses a more sane font substitution (like Arial)?

By the way, I not comfortable with jail breaking my iPad.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess my main question is: From where are you getting Snell Roundhand? I just sent my iPad a test e-mail that I wrote in Comic Sans font - and my e-mail shows the same font as it would/does when I send an e-mail with Times New Roman or any other font.

And, in my Mail settings, there is no option to choose the font. AFAIK, on a stock iPad, there is no way to change the font at all, except the three different fonts you can use in the Notes app (and those are Noteworthy, Helvetica and Marker Felt).

IOW, You can't delete the font you're getting because it's not on the iPad. It has to be something that's encoded into the e-mails that are coming from your colleagues. So, short of asking your colleague(s) to stop sending you e-mails in that font - I honestly have no idea.

Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
P

philipbellenoit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer, Marilyn. I'm getting the font name Snell Roundhand from Pages, which is installed on my iPad 2. I typed a sentence from my colleagues email in Pages and found the closet looking font. Then I compared it with the iPad email client and they match perfectly.

The reason I don't think my colleague is using that Snell Roundhand is because her emails show up with Comic Sans in Outlook and in Outlook Web Access, Microsoft's online version of Outlook--our school district is all Microsoft. Also, my iPad, according to Pages, doesn't have Comic Sans so that's what gave me the idea that the font is being substituted.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like your colleague is sending HTML emails, which the Mail app will read but not edit or create. Or maybe RTF, same boat so far.

There is no way to force a font in Mail. Sorry.

Depending on your email provider you might have more options using their website email interface.

OP
P

philipbellenoit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your answers. It seems my options are:
  1. Don't read my principal's emails on my iPad, use a computer instead
  2. Uninstall Pages and find another text editor that supports Word files and pray it doesn't do the same thing (I think the problem started after I installed pages)
  3. Tell any colleague who uses Comic Sans to change their font, please, for my benefit
  4. Get over it and enjoy the iPad for all the things it does right
By the way, is there a way to copy this thread to a different area like Help? If not, I'll stick to my promise and continue this thread in a more appropriate forum area.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't see how Pages should make any difference, but if you have all you document safely backed up elsewhere you could try deinstalling it and see. Re-downloading apps is free.

Not that it is entirely relevant, but there is a fairly vocal movement on the internet for the ban of Comic Sans, or at least the misuse of it. You could claim to be a sympathiser. ;)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry we couldn't have been of more assistance.

I have, however, moved this thread over to the Help section of the forum. Should have done that at the start actually. Sorry.

Marilyn

OP
P

philipbellenoit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't see how Pages should make any difference, but if you have all you document safely backed up elsewhere you could try deinstalling it and see. Re-downloading apps is free.

Not that it is entirely relevant, but there is a fairly vocal movement on the internet for the ban of Comic Sans, or at least the misuse of it. You could claim to be a sympathiser. ;)

Doesn't Pages install a number of fonts that are not on the iPad by default?

Last edited:
OP
P

philipbellenoit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry we couldn't have been of more assistance.

I have, however, moved this thread over to the Help section of the forum. Should have done that at the start actually. Sorry.

Marilyn

No problem. It seems I'm the only one with this problem. Also, thanks for moving this thread to the proper section. :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Most reactions

Latest posts