What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most expensive App you have ever bought?

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Quite useful. If one of my customers calls me and I need to make a quick change, or reboot a server, it's perfect.

I am serisouly considering this I am just worried that it will be too laggy and frustrating. Does it work well over wifi?

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Oh, yes, I also bought a map of south west England 1:50 which is better than the default one you get on iPad. It was about £14/£16 at the time but now it's £9. I have 250 apps now so I dread to think how much I have spent over the year.

That could be interesting to calculate exactly how much people have spent on iTunes and on the App store, I bet it's a fortune, but...

'I'm sure there's an App for that' ;)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Brindley said:
That could be interesting to calculate exactly how much people have spent on iTunes and on the App store, I bet it's a fortune, but...

'I'm sure there's an App for that' ;)

There probably is "an app for that" but just don't tell my husband because I get a moan every month asking me what I have bought from iTunes this month. It is usually a book from kindle or iBooks or it's another need to have app for my work at school.

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
There probably is "an app for that" but just don't tell my husband because I get a moan every month asking me what I have bought from iTunes this month. It is usually a book from kindle or iBooks or it's another need to have app for my work at school.

Haha! I never seem to buy things from apple usually, on the odd occasion I do...usually depending on the reviews, and the old bank balance haha!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Technically, I paid nothing for Dropbox - as to get the app is free (plus, you get 2GB of storage free).

However, I am paying $9.99 (USD) monthly for 50GB storage (actually, $99 a year because of a "discount").

So, in a way, the price of the app is un-measurable, as I intend to keep Dropbox for a long time, and by paying yearly, I keep adding to its cost.

However, $99/year is priceless to me to have "in the cloud" storage for (1) access from any computer and (2) a back-up system. YMMV.

Marilyn

[Who's not sure she got her idea across ... but hopes people will understand what she's trying to say...]

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No, I get what you are saying. Dropbox is great, I've got it on my iPad , iPhone and pc but I'm sure I paid for it ( I could be wrong as I've got too many apps).

Berghammer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OmniFocus - US$ 39.95 (task management)

Invaluable for me, but fills a somewhat specialized need. I suspect most people would be perfectly happy with one of several free alternatives

I always find that free alternatives are just as good as the paid apps usually. I mean if an app offers a paid one and a free one they both usually do the same tasks, the only difference is that on the free app you get alot of adverts etc.

To clarify: By "free alternatives" I meant there are task manager apps which are available at no charge (there is no 'trial version' of OmniFocus.)

Task management apps vary both in design philosophy and ability to deal with varying levels of complexity. Most of the less expensive (and free) alternatives lack the power of OmniFocus, which, I suppose, is why it's both popular and costly.

As you may know, a lot of free 'trial versions' do not rely on ads, but rather limit function (e.g., only twenty transactions in a budgeting program). I wish more developers followed this practice since it's often hard to get a good feel for an app based solely on the developer's euphoric description.

Last edited:
OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
As you may know, a lot of free 'trial versions' do not rely on ads, but rather limit function (e.g., only twenty transactions in a budgeting program). I wish more developers followed this practice since it's often hard to get a good feel for an app based solely on the developer's euphoric description.

Yes I know what you mean about the limited functions, as I mentioned before there should be some sort of trial of everything like you said, your right you can often only get a feel for the App once you are using it, and the description that comes with it can usually be confusing and doesn't contain the information you want.

Without a doubt there should be an 'try before you buy' service on all Apps and Apple should deffinitely take this into consideration, it's the same as the sample section you get in iTunes.

OP
Brindley

Brindley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
Technically, I paid nothing for Dropbox - as to get the app is free (plus, you get 2GB of storage free).

However, I am paying $9.99 (USD) monthly for 50GB storage (actually, $99 a year because of a "discount").

So, in a way, the price of the app is un-measurable, as I intend to keep Dropbox for a long time, and by paying yearly, I keep adding to its cost.

However, $99/year is priceless to me to have "in the cloud" storage for (1) access from any computer and (2) a back-up system. YMMV.

Marilyn

[Who's not sure she got her idea across ... but hopes people will understand what she's trying to say...]

Yes I do understand what you are saying, alot of Apps now have 'in-app fees' like this extra storage, so I guess what you are trying to say is that you can't tell how much you have spent on certain Apps because you can be paying a monthly/yearly fee.

At least I think that it what you are trying to say, sorry if I am wrong :)

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$30 for the Slingplayer app (for both iPad and Android). The silver medal goes to MLB At Bat ($15).

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Berghammer said:

+1.

Reaction score
User reviews aren't much help either oftentimes. " works great" " my child loves it" etc often just exasperate the developers description
And don't get me started on the Android market reviews. At least with Apple a review is for an iPad/iPhone and not one of a possible plethora of iOS running tablets or phones and they NEVER state the model in the review when they write it sucks or they love it.
One thing both have going for them, they make it easy to get your money in the first place but hard to decide what to spend it on without help from forums and Internet searches.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Philia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I agree about more of a sample....

I bought the writers thesaurus for about $22 I think. It was the best one available but not really worth the $. It's just so hard to switch to book when working in Pages.

Most reactions

Latest posts