What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Most annoying popup

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A problem cookie is the only thing I can think of.

Go to Settings > Safari. Clear Cookies and Data. Make sure your Block Cookies setting is set to block third party sites and advertisers.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A problem cookie is the only thing I can think of.

Go to Settings > Safari. Clear Cookies and Data. Make sure your Block Cookies setting is set to block third party sites and advertisers.
Cheers, but I have done all that and it still persists. It has become an itch that I just have to scratch. Having read some of the stuff on the Apple support forum I did find a lot of posters on there to be very unhelpful and appeared to be in denial. Amazing, the guy I quoted was asking for help and pointing out a potential, and I say potential, breach of IOS but all he got told was that basically it was impossible for malware to install itself unless his ipad was jailbroken. As it happens, nether my ipad nor his are jailbroken yet this problem has occurred.
Thank goodness for this forum and all it has to offer.
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This looks promising.

Remove adtrack.king.com Hijacker - MalwareFixes

Though they don't give very good instruction on the Reset option. It sounds like they mean for you to use the Reset All Settings option. At least that the option that will give the results they are kind of describing.

You definitly don't want to use the Erase All Contents and Settings option.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I hope it works.

While I don't' put much stock in the further instruction to delete recent apps, especially social game apps, and to log out of FaceBook, you might try those as well if the Reset All Settings does not work alone.

I'd also avoid the site that seems to have originally cause the problem, at least long enough to confirm the problem is squashed. That way if it comes back you've got a little more info, and something to tell the site admins about.

After having read a considerable amount, I'd like to retract the comments I made about the site and it's advertisement service. This is pretty wide spread, from what I've read, and many sites, mostly forums, have been affected by it. Android, iOS, and desktop OS's have all been affected. It's a browser thing.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No problem. I hope it works. While I don't' put much stock in the further instruction to delete recent apps, especially social game apps, and to log out of FaceBook, you might try those as well if the Reset All Settings does not work alone. I'd also avoid the site that seems to have originally cause the problem, at least long enough to confirm the problem is squashed. That way if it comes back you've got a little more info, and something to tell the site admins about. After having read a considerable amount, I'd like to retract the comments I made about the site and it's advertisement service. This is pretty wide spread, from what I've read, and many sites, mostly forums, have been affected by it. Android, iOS, and desktop OS's have all been affected. It's a browser thing.

Just reset all. All was okay but I hadn't read your update so logged onto the fffffffishing site! And yes, the pop up appeared shortly after. However, I did click on OK button, got taken to what appeared to be the Apple Store and tapped outside the app on there. Bingo, it disappeared! That in itself is a plus. Still, back to the drawing board. I will check out what you have said, twerpoet and thanks once more.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I decided to download Adblock from the Apple store and am still waiting to see how effective it is. Fingers crossed because I have exhausted all solutions suggested now. At the end of the day I am going to bin the web site that caused all this. :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If the website is important enough, you can visit it in private browsing mode after going to Settings > Safari and turning off Javascript. One prevents the persistent cookies that are half the problem. Javascript is the other half.

You could just turn off javascript all the time, except way too many sites depend on it for their bells and whistles. Of course, it's possible the fishing forum wont' work without javascript and cookies as well.

I'm pretty much out or ideas at this point, and further research has only turned up more of the same. If I happen across anything else in my internet wanderings I'll let you know.

OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If the website is important enough, you can visit it in private browsing mode after going to Settings > Safari and turning off Javascript. One prevents the persistent cookies that are half the problem. Javascript is the other half. You could just turn off javascript all the time, except way too many sites depend on it for their bells and whistles. Of course, it's possible the fishing forum wont' work without javascript and cookies as well. I'm pretty much out or ideas at this point, and further research has only turned up more of the same. If I happen across anything else in my internet wanderings I'll let you know.

I very much appreciate all the trouble you are taking to assist me, a massive thank you. I will keep you informed of any developments but, for the meantime, I have purchased Weblock Adblock on the App Store. Only cost £1.49, a couple of bucks, and seems to be working. Once again, thanks twerpoet, you are a star!
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Interesting. I would not have though that kind of app was possible, but I had not considered using proxy filtering to do the job.

I learned lots of new things, which is reward enough for a bit of reading and guess work. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting. I would not have though that kind of app was possible, but I had not considered using proxy filtering to do the job. I learned lots of new things, which is reward enough for a bit of reading and guess work. Thank you.

According to Weblock, it done through a PAC file, Proxy Auto Configuration. The file tells the IOS how to connect to different internet locations. Don't ask me any more as I can just about understand the explanation :)
It is working, that is all I can say. Check it out on the App Store, your opinion would be most welcome.
All the best,
Mike

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes. I checked that out shortly after I posted, which is why I change "internet traffic" to "proxy" in my post.

I somewhat understand proxies, though not all the underlying details of implementation. The original purpose was to redirect some URL's (internet addresses) to local servers, so that you could have a private intranet side by side with the internet. This can also be done in routers, and is more efficient that way for larger networks. Proxies works pretty well for an individual that wants to host their own private internet service/website at home.

In this case Weblock is redirecting the URL's from advertisers to a fake proxy. Kind of like setting the road signs (just for the annoying motorists) so that they end up driving off the end of a pier. It's an innovative, and somewhat poetic solution.

Unfortunately it only works for wi-fi connections and it must be set up individually for each wi-fi network you us. Though they make that relatively painless.

They have a pretty good description of what they do in the FAQ, though it does take some basic knowledge of how URL's and wildcard characters work.
Weblock - AdBlock for iOS. Content blocking for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Most reactions