Most annoying popup

Discussion in 'iPad 3 Forum' started by Mesqueunclub, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Hi everyone,
    I use a forum regarding fly fishing and recently, each time I try to access the forum, as soon as I go to the web site a pop up topapple.info comes on screen and no option to close it. The site appears to be Russian but not a lot of info on the net. It only happens on the fly fishing forum site. It is now so annoying I am considering not using the site again. Once the pop up appears, you cannot get rid of it or progress any further unless you click OK or close and restart the site. Any ideas anyone? I realise that this may be an issue with the forum site itself as others on there have commented about unwanted advertising as such.
    Mike

2. abababababab

abababababab
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Since you say that you and others feel that it is a problem with the other forum, i would recommend you to contact the forum administrator. We cannot do anything with that forum...

3. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks but I wasn't expecting ipad forum to do anything. I was just pointing out what has occurred and wondered if anyone else has experienced similar on any other forum. Admin on the problem forum is aware as there have been numerous reports but no feedback has yet been received.
    Mike

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I've seen some sites cover the entire page with a semi-transparent add with a bit of text and or graphic element in the center. The close (x) button is usually at the top right, but may require zooming out to see. Occasionally the add will be so big I can never get to the (x), if it's there.

That's the only idea I have.

5. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys. Just an update, I upgraded to IOS 7.0.4 yesterday as one of the fly fishing forum members suggested and now pop up free since. The admin on the site say they have everything in hand. The worrying bit about all this is the fact that when I clicked on the fishing forum app, sometimes it got taken to my banking web site. Very worrying! Anyway, all seems smooth sailing at the moment. I hope no one else has theses issues but at least they will be made aware.
    By the way, if you click okay on the pop up this takes you to what I believe is a fake Apple app site. I would not recommend inputting any Apple ID or password.

#5 Mesqueunclub, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  6. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I spoke too soon, the pop up is back, grrrrrr!
    Still, my iPad is fine with the latest IOS, so that's a big plus :)

7. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Just re-read your post, Twerpoet, and I will certainly look for the X however, I feel that it not there intentionally. As I said before, if the pop up is opened it takes you to what appears to be the Apple Store. I believe this to be a fake site but that is just MHO.
    Your advice is always welcome and thanks again.
    Mike

8. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Just to let you know, Twerpoet, the pop up is back under a different name/address but there is definitely no little x anywhere. This is obviously to make you click the OK button thinking you may get rid of it. Thanks anyway.

9. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Oh well.

And if the pop-up does anything other than take you to the actual App Store app, you are right. Don't enter any info. Apple does not support any kind of site that will let you order apps through a website.

It's a bit of over the top irony, a phishing scam in a fly fishing forum, don't you think? (I couldn't resist any longer).

Though it is possible to view an app's info in a website. Normally the web view of an app's store page only shows in a computer browser, but I suppose a third party browser might show that page as well. This view won't actually let you purchase anything. Instead of having a Buy or Free button it will have a View In iTunes button. And the URL will begin with itunes.apple.com/

GoodReader_for_iPad_on_the_App_Store_on_iTunes.jpg

10. Mesqueunclub

Mesqueunclub
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Nice one, Twerpoet! Thanks again for the info.
    Take care :)