What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Morningside

Morningside

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Morningside. My wife and i are going to Tuscany to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary in Oct. We want to take our iPad2 and use an app called "Co-Pilot" as our GPS. I believe we must use something called MiFi in Italy which we can rent through Vodafone. It is a portable modem that provides
WiFi to up to 5 devices. THEY PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE MICRO SIM CARD WITH THE MiFi in or for it to work properly. I'm told that there are some that have used this arrangement to get a good result with their iPad2 as a GPS over there.
CAN ANYONE TELL IF THIS ARRANGEMENT IS WORTH INVESTING IN ?

Thanks,
Morningside

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello there,

My name is Morningside. My wife and i are going to Tuscany to celebrate our 2nd wedding anniversary in Oct. We want to take our iPad2 and use an app called "Co-Pilot" as our GPS. I believe we must use something called MiFi in Italy which we can rent through Vodafone. It is a portable modem that provides
WiFi to up to 5 devices. THEY PROVIDE THE APPROPRIATE MICRO SIM CARD WITH THE MiFi in or for it to work properly. I'm told that there are some that have used this arrangement to get a good result with their iPad2 as a GPS over there.

Thanks,
Morningside

Do you have a WiFi or 3G iPad? I'm assuming you probably have a WiFi only model, in which case your iPad does not have GPS, because GPS shares some of the 3G electronics in the iPad. So, as you suggest, a MiFi unit will give you Internet connectivity while you're away but it will not give you GPS. There are some third-party GPS units available for WiFi iPads - you can find them easily on Amazon - but they cost about $100.

Tim

gavinabacus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morningside said:
Hello there,

Thanks,
Morningside

Hi tim,
Can you assist with my email outgoing settings. Just hanging
Thx
gavin

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morningside said:
Hello there,

Thanks,
Morningside

Hi tim,
Can you assist with my email outgoing settings. Just hanging
Thx
gavin

A couple of questions.

Are you on your home broadband network or a 'foreign' network?
Do you SMTP port 25 or have you got the outgoing mail set to use SSL?

If you've got it set to SMTP and Port 25 and you're on a 'foreign' network (i.e. not your home broadband) most service providers won't accept outgoing mail because they have no way of verifying your identity. You need to see if they support secure login (SSL) and, if so, switch to that.

Let me know if you need any detailed help to set this up.

Tim

Most reactions