What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monitor WIFI usage for hotspot only

smaxell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an app to monitor wifi usage that will only monitor for a specific wifi connection? I have searched several and downloaded a couple at cost and they don't seem to be able to separate one network from another. I have a wifi hotspot with a 2gb data plan that I want to track usage on, but have no need to track wifi usage on my home network. I just want to monitor when I am connected to my hotspot.

TIA

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is what you mean or not,but I can monitor the data usage of the personal hotspot created by my iPhone. To access it I go to Settings>General>Usage>Cellular usage. This is part of the resulting screen.

image-671009443.jpgas you can see,the tether data shows how much data has been sent and received.
The same would apply to the personal hotspot created by an iPad.

Last edited:
OP
S

smaxell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That is the general idea, but I need something to keep a running total just for the hotspot for the month.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
smaxell said:
That is the general idea, but I need something to keep a running total just for the hotspot for the month.

That's what the tether data does. Tether data is the data sent and received by the wifi hotspot since the last time it was reset. You can touch the reset statistics button at the bottom of the screen at the beginning of each month to start a new running total for each month.

HeidiLehmanan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i dont think there is an such think for monitring the wifi activity but one thing you can do is to check your wifi router it has logs in it!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
HeidiLehmanan said:
i dont think there is an such think for monitring the wifi activity but one thing you can do is to check your wifi router it has logs in it!

Check the second post in this thread and look at the screenshot from my phone.

OP
S

smaxell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will have to connect to the hotspot again and see if I see that. I looked for that once and didn't see the tether or cellular usage part.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
smaxell said:
I will have to connect to the hotspot again and see if I see that. I looked for that once and didn't see the tether or cellular usage part.

The cellular usage section is at the bottom of the usage page in settings. Touch cellular usage and you will go to the cellular usage page. The tether data is there,just as in my screenshot,provided the personal hotspot feature is activated by your cellular service provider.

P.S. You look for the tether data on the device that is creating the wifi hotspot.

Last edited:
OP
S

smaxell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HeidiLehmanan said:

Yes it does have logs, I just wanted an easier way

Bingoldsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Smaxwell,

You don't say what kind of "Hotspot" you are referring to, so the responses seem to preclude that it is an iPhone. How about telling us what the hotspot actually is, and you might get some different answers.

As far as me knowing about apps that can keep track of data flow between specific devices.... well, sorry, can't help there. Good luck.

OP
S

smaxell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bingoldsby said:
Smaxwell,

You don't say what kind of "Hotspot" you are referring to, so the responses seem to preclude that it is an iPhone. How about telling us what the hotspot actually is, and you might get some different answers.

As far as me knowing about apps that can keep track of data flow between specific devices.... well, sorry, can't help there. Good luck.

I have a wifi only iPad, so I bought a wireless 4g Samsung hotspot from my cell provider.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
smaxell said:
I have a wifi only iPad, so I bought a wireless 4g Samsung hotspot from my cell provider.

I'm afraid that in this case you may have to contact Samsung to ask about monitoring the wifi usage of your hotspot. My answers presumed you were using the personal hotspot feature on an iPhone. What does the user guide for your portable hotspot have to say about the monitoring of your wifi usage?

OP
S

smaxell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I'm afraid that in this case you may have to contact Samsung to ask about monitoring the wifi usage of your hotspot. My answers presumed you were using the personal hotspot feature on an iPhone. What does the user guide for your portable hotspot have to say about the monitoring of your wifi usage?

You can check it in the settings, but I was more looking for an app that would reset automatically at the end of the billing cycle, etc. it would be much easier to just check an app as opposed to logging in to the settings on the hotspot remotely.

Most reactions

Latest posts