What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modem

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The service provides an HTML5 web based method of tethering your iPhone or 3G iPad to your computer and using your cellular data plan.

It is more limited than the usual Hotspot, but I believe it qualifies as using your iPad as a modem. Or I misunderstood the question. Alway possible. ;)

I wouldn't use it, and I expect the carriers will be doing their best to close them down via technical or litigious means, but it's there for the time being and with no apparent issues with Apple (since it bypasses the App Store).

It should be an interesting show.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, twerppoet. I skimmed comments earlier and it looked iffy to me, but should be interesting to watch unfold.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the new iPad will offer free unlimited tethering or will it be 2GB worth of tethering and 2GB worth of iPad data? Any ideas on how it will work.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 With IOS 5.1Update From NYC!!! using iPF

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can someone tell me if the new iPad will offer free unlimited tethering or will it be 2GB worth of tethering and 2GB worth of iPad data? Any ideas on how it will work.

That question is best answered by whichever carrier you'd use with the new iPad.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
That question is best answered by whichever carrier you'd use with the new iPad.

Guess I will have to wait until they start selling it in Verizon. They keep saying free tethering, nothing is ever free or simple with these people - any carrier.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Guess I will have to wait until they start selling it in Verizon. They keep saying free tethering, nothing is ever free or simple with these people - any carrier.

Yes, best to nail them down, especially if you have a plan that's grandfathered.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Perhaps this will help: Mobile Hotspot Included in Verizon's iPad 4G LTE Data Plan

Considering the prices of the plans, I wouldn't call the tethering exactly free. ;)

Thanks very much!!! I guess what is not clear is how much free tethering data will be allotted each month - i.e. I pay 20.00 per month for 2 GB of tethering data (which I watch very closely and if I ever run out for the month I will just leave the pad at home lol) my iPad via my iPhone 4 on an unlimited plan.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yes, best to nail them down, especially if you have a plan that's grandfathered.

Yup, cuz I know we are missing some fine print somewhere.

Most reactions

Latest posts