What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Modem?

abqhudson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse the questions from the newbie - please. Considering the purchase of an iPad 2: what do I need in terms of a modem for home use? What brand/model will give me the best/fastest performance? Or, is there little difference? Thanks for any help.

DLCrouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have two options for Internet connectivity - wifi through your home network and other locations (like Starbucks, hotels, libraries, etc) or cellular service through ATT or Verizon. All models come with wifi; cellular is optional for $ 130 extra. If you get the cellular option, you pick one or the other and are stuck with it - the cell modems are carrier specific. And, of course, cell service is not free.

Browse the forums - lots of threads pro and con about getting cell service and which provider to select. Me - I carry my IPAD everywhere, so I went with the ATT option. Again, lots of spirited debate out there about cell carriers.

BTW - if don't have Internet service at your home, you really need to get it along with a wireless router.

Hope this helps

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For home use, you need a wireless router (and a high speed Internet connection). There is no reason to spend a lot of money on one. I spent a whopping $20 (on sale at BestBuy) for an 802.11n D-Link router and it works great!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excuse the questions from the newbie - please. Considering the purchase of an iPad 2: what do I need in terms of a modem for home use? What brand/model will give me the best/fastest performance? Or, is there little difference? Thanks for any help.

Hello abqhudson! Welcome to the forum. I think you should consult your telephone provider or cable company provider and see what kind of service they can provide you at your residence. For example, here in Fort Wayne, I have telephone service via Verizon. Verizon also provides me with internet access. When I first enrolled in their FIOS service they not only installed my service but they also provided me with a modem router which allowed me to connect up to four computers with a wire (4 ports) and 2 computers wirelessly. This is not cheap, it is $94.00 a month, internet access plus local telephone service.

Comcast Cable can provide me with cable plus telephone plus internet as well, but their offering is a little bit more expensive and their internet speed is a little bit lower than Verizon's FIOS.

I hope this helps you?

Most reactions

Latest posts