What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mobile broadband 3 network has stopped sending emails

Gua70

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know why my ipad has stopped sending emails using smtp-mbb.three.co.uk which is 3 outgoing server?
3 have told me port 25 has been blocked, it was working for 18 months and now not!
Please advise for all settings for the out going server for 3 ie: ssl on or off etc
I have tried 587,465,443 and no good

Thanks

fepfep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah - its not just me then!

Took from my first call to Three on Wednesday lunchtime to this evening (Friday) to get to have a half sensible conversation with Three tech support. They suggest that I delete and re-setup my e-mail account.

Thing is I use two separate accounts, which I send and receive mail for on my laptop via a Three broadband dongle and also on my iPhone with a Three sim. Both accounts stopped sending last weekend on both devices. The only common feature is the use on both devices of the smtp-mbb.three.co.uk outgoing mail server. All incoming mail is OK. Sent mail happily sends, moves into sent items and generates no bounce backs - but never arrives. I say never, having done numerous test e-mails from both accounts, to various addresses and from both devices, one or two e-mails have made it through after a few hours. All very frustrating. Of course Three say no-one else is having the problem. Anyone else?

Sow40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have exactly the same issue on my iPhone. I have been using the email account for 18 months and it's just stopped. I have spoken to three on numerous occasions and don't get anywhere with them. Please can someone help? I have 2 email accounts one which is on gmail (working fine) and another one which is hosted by fast hosts (my work email) which is not working!!!

fepfep

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOLUTION!

Everything changed when I read this article:

Why can't I send email from wireless hotspots using a laptop computer and Windows Vista's Windows Mail?
I can't post a link so you're going to have to Google.

I had always been given to believe that you had to use the outgoing mail server of your ISP not of your e-mail provider. Furthermore, it worked with Three (smtp-mbb.three.co.uk) until last week, but not at all with Virginmedia, my home broadband supplier. They had once told me that they don't support 'relaying' at all, with the result that even at home I had to use my mobile broadband connection to send POP3 e-mail.

After reading the above article, I tried resetting my outgoing mail server (on laptop and iPhone, across two totally separate e-mail accounts) to the mail account provider's outgoing mail server settings and selected password authentication using my incoming mail server user name and passwords. BINGO - I can send outgoing mails on whatever connection I like - even the Virginmedia home connection.

Why was this so hard to discover. Over the years I've had numerous calls with various support people on this issue. Even this week, the guy at Three (who seemed pretty competent) never said "why don't you use your e-mail providers outgoing server with authentication?" INCREDIBLE.

Hope this helps other non webmail users.

Sow40

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgive me for being a dimwit but I don't get it! I have a pc in my office which I get all my emails on but when I'm out and about I use my iPhone to send and recieve emails. But this has stopped working on the smtp-mbb.three.co.uk outgoing server. Please help me as I've been without my work email now for a week and I can't go through another week with no emails!!

Most reactions

Latest posts