What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MKV video playback problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,
1st of all Im a computer gimp and hopeless at converting movies in any sort of technical fashion. I have a 64 gb Ipad mini and i use it to watch movies while I work offshore. I load series etc onto it and play directly from the ipad.
I have AVplayerHD and buzz player.
Thing is more and more movies, series these days are saved in mkv format and the sound lags and the image stutters.
Ive tried using all the free apps that convert mkv to mp4 or perhaps just have a ipad mini format etc to keep it simple.
Trouble is these converted movies into mp4 still dont play and the output source isnt adjustable. Or I dont know what I need to use?

Is there a recommended converter from the apps store that actually converts MKV files into a good playing file?? Ive searched this high and low and get lost in the technical side of things.
I just want a converter that works and is drop and drag and spits out what I want?? I also never play these shows on anything other then the ipad mini and I delete them when ive watched them never to see them again.

Please help the un gifted one!!!

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note I dont put movies on itunes or save them or stream them.

I just drop them directly in avplayer HD. if there is a wireless system offshore I just stream through buzz player.

Please note i see this has been discussed all over the internet but I cant see an actual solution I understand.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have you looked at nplayer? Not free, but I installed it after recommendatios here and I have not had to convert any files so far... Handles loads of formats.

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you confirm it plays, MKV video files correctly, Have you got any to test it with?
AVplayerHD was $10 and I have no problem paying for a player that will play MKV files. However my research suggests the ipad mini simply cant play those files and they must be converted, how ever im yet to find a converter that works.

Also of note i see that AVplayer HD is a highly regarded player?? So I dont want to install something at cost and find I still have the same problems??

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just checked with homeland mkv episode and no problem - but I am using a 64gb air 2, not a mini. Hopefully someone will come along shortly to confirm mini functionality.

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine is a model 1455 so Ipad mini 1 cellular version I believe.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The app requires iOS 7 and later, and is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
It doesn't matter which model it is, if iOS 7, 8 or 9 is installed, it will work on every iPad.

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
$14 wasted, Yes plays video fine but the audio is out of sync with the video. Its to frustrating to watch. Or is that accepted?? It doesnt work.

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wrt $14 wasted: perhaps depending upon country and length of time you have had AVplayerHD, Apple/iTunes do have a refund policy if an app fails to do what it is supposed to do.

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm will try that, but 230 views of this post and no real answers?? So does ipad mini just not play MKV files then?? Or isnt there a decent converter that can convert the mkv files to a playable version??

I dont understand its just a video file? The files play fine on my mac so its not like they are damaged. Is the ipad mini just not powerful enough to play them?? If that was the case then surely converting them and making them a smaller file would work??
Yet some of the converters would just fail at even trying to convert them??

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wrt $14 wasted: perhaps depending upon country and length of time you have had AVplayerHD, Apple/iTunes do have a refund policy if an app fails to do what it is supposed to do.
Hey Cheers Mate

I didnt know about the refund and just got it back. Thanks for the info, god knows how many apps I've bought and just deleted!!

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if I have upset anyone by reply to the other threads on this subject. i didnt realise they were 5 years old as they show up on the bottom of the screen as similar threads?? its like you wanted me to comment LOL.
However as I have been suitably repremanded and wont be doing that again, the mod did say my question has been suitably answered? Well Im sorry but it hasnt.
I tried Nplayer and it didnt work, so Im still looking for a decent easy to use video converter that can conver MKV to a file the ipad mini can play.
Of for someone to stand up and just say the ipad mini cant play mkv files or convered mkv files??

Cheers.

380 views of this thread now, surely someone knows something.

OP
B

Bell diver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The app requires iOS 7 and later, and is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.
It doesn't matter which model it is, if iOS 7, 8 or 9 is installed, it will work on every iPad.
Have the latest up dates, the app worked but the audio on the video still was 4 to 5 secs behind the video.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Have the latest up dates, the app worked but the audio on the video still was 4 to 5 secs behind the video.
The OP has received a Private Message giving a solution to his, long outstanding, problem. The problem is related to a contravention of our rules. It has been explained to him and will not be further aired here.
This thread is therefore now closed.
Andrew
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ THREAD CLOSED ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts