What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MKV to MP4 or M4V

iNb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks to the help and advice on this excellent forum, I recently purchased an AirStash and GoFlex Satellite for movie storage to watch on the go during my frequent business trips.

The problem is OPlayer, AirPlayer and over playback apps purchased in the app store are not happy with MKV files, causing a delay on the audio :(

I do not wish to spend hours converting large movie files (I have many) and remember reading there is a fast and easy way to conver MKV to mp4 by just changing the container (?), however, I cannot remember where I read this info.

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a PC software or any information on how to perform this task fast and easily.

Many thanks in advance.

iNb

D

dvdcatalyst

I do not wish to spend hours converting large movie files (I have many) and remember reading there is a fast and easy way to conver MKV to mp4 by just changing the container (?), however, I cannot remember where I read this info.

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the direction of a PC software or any information on how to perform this task fast and easily.

Many thanks in advance.

iNb

Hi iNb,

the application you are looking for is XenonMKV.

I found a link to it here

Download XenonMKV Build 20110301_39 Free - Repackages high-definition H.264/x264 video and 5.1 audio contained in MKV files - Softpedia

However, the issues you are experiencing might be related to the audio format in your MKV's, so changing the container along might not fix the issue, so you might have to convert the audio along with changing the container format.

If you do end up having to resort to converting your mkv collection, you might want to give DVD Catalyst 4 a shot. It will not eliminate the waiting for conversion, however, you can drag your collection over and start a batch-conversion of 10, 100, 1000 with a single click (start program, select iPad profile, drag & drop your files, tap go and let it run)

alextang

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks to the help and advice on this excellent forum, I recently purchased an AirStash and GoFlex Satellite for movie storage to watch on the go during my frequent business trips.

The problem is OPlayer, AirPlayer and over playback apps purchased in the app store are not happy with MKV files, causing a delay on the audio :(

Many thanks in advance.

iNb

I think you need this tool - Subler subler - mp4 muxer and editor, to add tx3g subtitles, video, audio and chapters tracks compatible with quicktime in mp4 - Google Project Hosting, or this professional ipad converter (powerful but not free)

Last edited:

Wokiebear

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, just download AVPlayerHD from the app store in iTunes...will play all of those. It's a free player, too.

Most reactions

Latest posts