What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

missing emails

Annieb*

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, can anyone tell me why my emails disappear from my inbox, sometimes after a day or two or sometimes only after an hour or so,

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are using an Exchange email account, go into your account's settings in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calenders > (account) and make sure your Days to Sync Mail is set correctly. The default is 3 days, which means all emails older than three days will be removed from the iPad (though they will still be available on the server).

I may hece the name of the setting wrong. It has been a long time since I had an Exchange account on my iPad; every since Google stopped supporting them for free accounts.

OP
A

Annieb*

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cannot see Days to Sync Mail on my iPad settings

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's Mail Days to Sync, and only Outlook has this feature now, starting with 1 day, three days, ... up to No Limit.

Which email account is showing this behaviour? Gmail, Outlook, iCloud, or a different one?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I think it's iCloud

If you use more than one device or computer to access your iCloud account, emails that were moved or deleted on on device may appear on the other device breifly, before the device finishes syncing with the server.

If you are using a Mac and leave your computer on with the Mail app active, and you have rules set up that automatically move or delete emails; you may see emails disappear on your device as the rules get applied on the Mac.

If you have a lot of emails, more than the iPad Mail client usually dispalays, the oldest ones may get bumped from the list. If you go to the bottom of your email list and try to scroll further, it should offer to download more emails. It will on your other mail boxes anyway. I've never had an Inbox so full that I could test this behavior on it.

The only other reason I can think of is if iClouds Junk mail filters are acting up. Normally they should kick in before you see any emails, but if the service was delayed it might be possible for them to remove email fromo the inbox retroactivly.

If you have further detials on what kinds of emails are disappearing and when, we might be able to make better guesses. No guarantees though.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's Mail Days to Sync, and only Outlook has this feature now, starting with 1 day, three days, ... up to No Limit.

Which email account is showing this behaviour? Gmail, Outlook, iCloud, or a different one?

Outlook, and many corperate/business email accounts. I was trying to cover all bases by saing Exchange, but I should have known not everyone would understand that. Thanks.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Outlook, and many corperate/business email accounts. I was trying to cover all bases by saing Exchange, but I should have known not everyone would understand that. Thanks.
Thank you.
Forgot the business accounts, that mostly are exchange accounts. You're right. Sorry.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem, besides, you asked the question I should have asked first, instead of jumping to conclusions.

Now we just have to pin down a few more facts.

Most reactions

Latest posts