What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing Auto-Lock Settings

ianonline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know why some settings are missing? On my iPad4 I have 2 minutes up to never for auto-lock, but my father's iPad3 only shows 2 or 5 minutes. We are both running iOS 6.1.3. Thanks for your help.

image-93393079.jpg

Ian, experienced iPad4 owner. feel free to contact me here: Moderator edit: No external links to personal websites.

Last edited by a moderator:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is a very good question. I wonder if it has anything to do with having the an iPad with a sim card or not?

OP
ianonline

ianonline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know, but I know it doesn't have a SIM card in it, and neither does mine. The iPad3 can take a SIM card but my iPad4 is wifi only. I suspect it is something to do with the pass code but I've not been able to disable that to find out.

Ian, experienced iPad4 owner.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I disabled my pass code but it did not change anything.

I don't think it has anything to do with the sim card.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Sounds like your father's iPad may have it's profile manged. Businesses often do this to iPads they issue or allow on thier network. Requiring a passcodde and a short lock time are common.

OP
ianonline

ianonline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know but the iPad belongs to him and he is the administrator, but at the request of his office, he put the lock on. I'll go ask in my local Apple Reseller soon, maybe they know.

Ian, experienced iPad4 owner, happy to answer questions.

jgelety

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you find out? Sounds weird. If he's the admin and his work doesn't have access to it then there would be no way for them to limit what he picks. I'm on the iPad 3 6.1.3 and my times are 2, 5, 10, 15 and never.

OP
ianonline

ianonline

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I did find out, sorry I didn't update here. I asked in an Apple store where we searched Google and found the answer is Exchange Mail accounts. The exchange server owner (probably your employer) remotely manages auto-lock settings to help protect company information. They don't access the iPad physically, but they do access settings for that mail account. Delete the Exchange Mail account and the auto-lock settings should return to the default and display all options including never auto-lock. I hope that helps anyone else with this problem.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is no surprise to me. Has happened to me, which restricted my auto lock time to 1 minute when I had access to my work email on my droid phone. I removed it completely since I constantly had to punch the pass code on my personal phone. Deleting the account took care of the auto-lock time restrictions.

On my iPhone, I now have my work email account set up. My auto lock times are 1- 5 minutes which seems more reasonable versus having only one option before on my old phone.

Skimonkey ~~ sent from my iPad MINI using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts