What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing App

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
Is it possile for an app to be taken off my iPad without deleting it, I had a file browser for my NAS drive and it seems to have gone; even in iTunes on my PC. I have looked in my purchases and it's not there either

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to the Search page (swipe all the way to the left) and search for the app name to see if it still appears and can be launched from there.

If it can, there are few things to consider.

One, if you have more than 144 apps and aren not using folders, you could have pushed the icon out of view.

If you have age limit restrictions set in Settings > General > Restrictions then apps rated over what you have set will disappear. Might not show up in the search either, come to think of it.

Check all your folders, just incase someone (or you) accidentally move it.

App icons have also been know to disappear as a glitch. Restarting or reseting the iPad will usually fix this.

If the app is on the iPad, and none of this helps, it may be necessary to delete the app and reinstall. If you are using iOS 5, you can (probably) do this in Settings > General > Usage. You can select the app under the Storage heading and delete it. If you don't have iOS 5, it will be necessary to do a complicated dance with iTunes syncing.

But before you do that, visit the App Store and make sure it still exists. You comment about it not appearing under Purchases has me worried.

To answer your questions directly, yes, Apple has the ability to pull an app off the iPad directly. (I believe Google has the same ability with the Android store) As far as I know they have never exercised this ability. It is supposed to be a last resort method to prevent the spreading of malicious or illegal apps; in which case the App Store's screening department will probably be required to fall on their swords.

Amazon exercised a similar ability with a Kindle book once. The flak they received was warning enough for just about anyone to know they better have an excellent reason to use this feature.

So the chances that Apple did this on purpose are close to nil. If they did, you'll soon hear about it all over the news; probably for the next two weeks, unless a major disaster strikes. Even then, I bet it would pull headlines for a week.

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
WOW! .............
Thanks for the comprehensive reply; you are a minefield of information.
I'll follow through with all your suggestions. One problem I have is I can't recall the name of the App only what I used it for.

Nos Vemos .................. Gerry N .........Sent from my iPad

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem. I was feeling chatty. :eek:

I'm afraid I can't help with the memory problem. I spent a couple hours two days ago trying to find a book trilogy that I can't remember the title or author. Google's good, but not quite good enough to find a book using a vague description of a half remembered story. :D

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
No problem. I was feeling chatty. :eek:

I'm afraid I can't help with the memory problem. I spent a couple hours two days ago trying to find a book trilogy that I can't remember the title or author. Google's good, but not quite good enough to find a book using a vague description of a half remembered story. :D

You are an asset to this forum. Keep up the good work and have a great holiday if you celebrate it!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
Thank you. Just finished my dinner. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving yourself.

Yes I did on the road from LIB heading back to New York!!

Sent from my Tricked Out, Sparkly Pink Black Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
tlbaker said:
Yes I did on the road from LIB heading back to New York!!

From Long Island. Hate auto correct ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
From Long Island. Hate auto correct ;)

That's ok. I'd have been just as mystified by LI. I spent 6 months in New York, and even though it was over 20 years ago you'd think I'd remember a bit more. Not long before that I remember looking at the map trying to find the state of New England that I kept hearing mentioned. ;)

Geography isn't one of my stronger subjects.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
That's ok. I'd have been just as mystified by LI. I spent 6 months in New York, and even though it was over 20 years ago you'd think I'd remember a bit more. Not long before that I remember looking at the map trying to find the state of New England that I kept hearing mentioned. ;)

Geography isn't one of my stronger subjects.

Funny, I am sure you know by now New England is a set of several states.

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 IOS 5.0.1 Update using iPF

OP
tecknoes

tecknoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teckno.net
This thread seems to have gone off at a tangent. The following refers to the original post I made.

I funny thing is happening now, the missing app was on my first page and there is now one space at the bottom RHS of page one, when I download a new app in the past it used to put it into the first available empty space i.e. page one, now it leaves this space on page one empty and goes to an empty space on page three. It is as thought the app that has mysteriously disappeared a week ago is still occupying the blank space on page one as though as there are still 20 apps on the first page ....... hope this makes sense.

I have search everywhere for the one that has gone and it doesn't appear anywhere, iPad installed, my iTunes online account and even an app that finds apps.

I have taken screen shots of each page in case this happens again and I can't remember the app name.

Has this happened to anyone else?????

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Can you tap on the that blank spot and launch it? I know, a real long shot there.

Sometimes missing icons can be retrieved with a reset. You've probably already done this, but I'll list it just in case.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart.

If that does not work, you're probably going to have to delete the app and install it again. Used to be the only way to delete a ghost app was to do it through iTunes on the computer; which can be a real pain if you aren't already syncing your apps with iTunes. With iOS 5 you can go to Settings > General > Usage, find it under the Storage list, select and delete it there. Hopefully whatever is causing the icon go go missing won't also cause it to go missing there. Don't forget to select Show all Apps, if it's not on the short list.

Most reactions