What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Software Glitches

Twism86

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
gardenstatetrout.com
Hey Everyone,

Ive had my iPad 2 for a few days now and Ive had two minor software glitches. First one was that when i went to change the wallpaper, my photo albums didnt show thumbnails, only a gray square. The second was the wifi symbol wouldnt appear and show signal strength but I was connected. Both of these were corrected by powering down and back up again. Anyone have small issues like this?

Tom

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had similar problems with the iPad1; the power off-on routine is a fix-it for a multitude of problems - but no need to worry unless they recur. My problems came - I did the power off-on - and they went away never to be seen again.

Hope you have the same experience.

Tim
Scotland

Thehamguy1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suppose the problem is what we used to call memory leaks, although "memory leftovers" is perhaps more descriptive. Little snippets of computer code get left behind accidentally when a program closes. They may stick around in the parts of memory used by another program and interfere with the program's function. Apple's OS had the reputation back then of being less susceptible to memory leaks which is why one could leave the computer on for days or weeks without glitches. I don't think any OS is completely immune to them, though, and I tend to leave my iOS devices on for weeks at a time, although asleep for much on that time. Just speculation, though. My knowledge of OS insides is dated.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thehamguy1 said:
I suppose the problem is what we used to call memory leaks, although "memory leftovers" is perhaps more descriptive. Little snippets of Apple's OS had the reputation back then of being less susceptible to memory leaks which is why one could leave the computer on for days or weeks without glitches. I don't think any OS is completely immune to them, though, and I tend to leave my iOS devices on for weeks at a time, although asleep for much on that time. Just speculation, though. My knowledge of OS insides is dated.

That's consistent with my own experience as well: there are some OSes which are so robust you can run them for weeks - my record was a BSD Unix server which ran for 90+ days. Windows, on the other hand, leaks like a sieve.

Most reactions

Latest posts