Minipad goes blank even tho it is charged

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by joodyanne, May 5, 2018.

1. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    The Mini Ipad screen goes completely blank in the middle of something I am doing.. This has happened at least 3 times.. I turn it off and on again and things are back to normal. Why does this happen?

I have to charge the Ipad up every day, There is still plenty of charge in it when it occurs - is it the battery or some other internal part wearing out?

#1 joodyanne, May 5, 2018
    Last edited: May 5, 2018
  2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Judy - which iPad Mini do your own (see chart below from Wiki) and what iOS is installed - this information will impact on what suggestions can be offered, so will await your response - Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 8.44.56 PM.png

3. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Dave, thanks for answering. I have Model 1489

iOS? you mean Google Chrome????

4. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Go to Settings>General>About and scroll down until you get to Version. This will tell you the current iOS version on your iPad. iOS is the operating system used by iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touch devices.

5. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    11.3 (15E216) now updating to 11.3.1

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Judy - you have an iPad Mini 2 released initially nearly 5 years ago, so considered 'old' - your battery health would need to be determined by an app on a computer ( I use Coconut Battery on my Macs - cycles consumed and retained charge are the important issues) - you're updating to the most recent iOS (explained by Scifan..) - now that we have some specific info on your iPad & iOS, please provide more information on when this 'blackout' and need to restart happens, i.e. what apps are you using or any other specific details? Dave :)

7. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I think I was playing Free Cell last night when it happened. I didn't restart all together, just closed it down on the left top side button, pressed home and everything was OK. Wow - 5 years old and its almost obsolete! I don't even use it all the time, only at night when commercials are on, to check mail and play a game, or check Messenger and face book. I use desktop every other time. There lots of Apps that came with the iPad, that I don't use. The only time I take it away from the house, is if I am in hospital, or visiting overnight, tho if I can, would prefer laptop.

I'd have to wait till it happened again, and let you know.

8. Thomas1977

Thomas1977
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    perhaps it is going into a power saving mode. kinda like a screen saver or something. I know sometimes they will do that if your not doing anything for a while.

9. joodyanne

joodyanne
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    You'd think so, but I definitely was in the middle of something when it happened.

10. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's similar to the random sleep issue that's plagued some Mac users in the past whereby the computer would go into sleep mode no matter what the settings were or what the user was doing at the time. That problem required a logic board replacement. I hope that will not be the case with your iPad.