What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minipad goes blank even tho it is charged

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Mini Ipad screen goes completely blank in the middle of something I am doing.. This has happened at least 3 times.. I turn it off and on again and things are back to normal. Why does this happen?

I have to charge the Ipad up every day, There is still plenty of charge in it when it occurs - is it the battery or some other internal part wearing out?

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The Mini Ipad screen goes completely blank in the middle of something I am doing.. This has happened at least 3 times.. I turn it off and on again and things are back to normal. Why does this happen?

I have to charge the Ipad up every day, There is still plenty of charge in it when it occurs - is it the battery or some other internal part wearing out?

Hi Judy - which iPad Mini do your own (see chart below from Wiki) and what iOS is installed - this information will impact on what suggestions can be offered, so will await your response - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2018-05-05 at 8.44.56 PM.png

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dave, thanks for answering. I have Model 1489

iOS? you mean Google Chrome????
Go to Settings>General>About and scroll down until you get to Version. This will tell you the current iOS version on your iPad. iOS is the operating system used by iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touch devices.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Go to Settings>General>About and scroll down until you get to Version. This will tell you the current iOS version on your iPad. iOS is the operating system used by iPads, iPhones, and iPod Touch devices.

11.3 (15E216) now updating to 11.3.1

Hi again Judy - you have an iPad Mini 2 released initially nearly 5 years ago, so considered 'old' - your battery health would need to be determined by an app on a computer ( I use Coconut Battery on my Macs - cycles consumed and retained charge are the important issues) - you're updating to the most recent iOS (explained by Scifan..) - now that we have some specific info on your iPad & iOS, please provide more information on when this 'blackout' and need to restart happens, i.e. what apps are you using or any other specific details? Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think I was playing Free Cell last night when it happened. I didn't restart all together, just closed it down on the left top side button, pressed home and everything was OK. Wow - 5 years old and its almost obsolete! I don't even use it all the time, only at night when commercials are on, to check mail and play a game, or check Messenger and face book. I use desktop every other time. There lots of Apps that came with the iPad, that I don't use. The only time I take it away from the house, is if I am in hospital, or visiting overnight, tho if I can, would prefer laptop.

I'd have to wait till it happened again, and let you know.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
perhaps it is going into a power saving mode. kinda like a screen saver or something. I know sometimes they will do that if your not doing anything for a while.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You'd think so, but I definitely was in the middle of something when it happened.
It's similar to the random sleep issue that's plagued some Mac users in the past whereby the computer would go into sleep mode no matter what the settings were or what the user was doing at the time. That problem required a logic board replacement. I hope that will not be the case with your iPad.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I guess I will have to just put up with it - it doesn't happen very often. More of a nuisance than anything else. Approx how much would a logic board replacement cost, anyway?

Thanks Scifan

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I guess I will have to just put up with it - it doesn't happen very often. More of a nuisance than anything else. Approx how much would a logic board replacement cost, anyway?

Thanks Scifan
You're welcome.
While there's no way of telling without a full diagnostic, a logic board replacement, if necessary, would cost more than the 6 year old iPad Mini is worth.

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wellt hey say it is a throw away society these days. I'll plod along. Any good ideas which mini iPad if I did eventually have to buy one - or do people buy bigger nowawayds.

Thanks Scifan

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wellt hey say it is a throw away society these days. I'll plod along. Any good ideas which mini iPad if I did eventually have to buy one - or do people buy bigger nowawayds.

Hi again Judy - my wife likes the iPad Mini 'footprint' - so that is an important consideration for you vs. buying a larger size - if you want to stick w/ the Mini's size, then the iPad Mini 4 is your only choice, BUT was released in fall of 2015 (my wife's current iPad Mini) - is a 'new' model in Apple's future - who knows?

But, if you're willing to go to a larger size, then a good consideration is what Apple is simply calling the iPad (9.7" display) - SO, if you want another Mini size, then a wait might be your best choice; if you want to go to a larger size, then look at the new 'iPad' - Dave :)

OP
joodyanne

joodyanne

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've printed this out Dave, in case there comes a time when enough is enough.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts