Mind Mapping anyone?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by pik0, Aug 30, 2010.

1. iamsure

iamsure
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    about Mindo

Mindo can export/import file via Email and iTunes File Sharing, support several file formats such as .mmap (Mind Manager) and .xmind (Xmind).

2. CMFox

CMFox
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If you look in any art student's notebook/sketchbook you will see "mind-maps." Its a visual way to take down information. Its not new, Buzan, just made everyone aware of it. And made it cool for the lineal biz types to draw pictures. A few more art classes in your youth and you too would have been doing this year's ago.

I give Buzan credit for reinventing the wheel and marketing it to make a profit.

CM

3. profTK

profTK
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Great question, Piko.

Here are three major reasons:
    1. Even with widespread use of mind mapping in business, most students have never heard of mind mapping.
    2. Once they hear about mind mapping, they don't know how to apply it to school (no systematic method). Note: this has changed now with publication of Concise Learning book (also available as an iBook :ipad-front:).
    3. The paper & pen note taking habit is hard to break because students have been trained to copy notes throughout their school years. With mind mapping, students can transition from copying notes to thinking during lectures, a big change that requires a major habit change.

4. pik0

pik0
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    iThoughtsHD has the same capabilities and much higher ratings.

5. pik0

pik0
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I just did a quick image search on Google. I didn't find any art student sketchbook example that show any sort of radiant thinking style of mind mapping of knowledge. Can you paste links?

Reinventing the wheel? Have you read his book? He makes it pretty clear that all the great minds in human history have been doing this for a long time. The only difference is, he attempted to codify their technique.

I don't begrudge him for making money helping people.

Piko

6. pik0

pik0
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    1. Widespread? I wish it were. I've been working professionally since 1985 in the IT industry and have NEVER seen anyone doing anything remotely like this. I've worked with 100's of engineering professionals and everyone I've ever known kept it lineal. I've even attended brainstorming classes (a perfect outlet) and not a peep.
    2. Yeah, it's a travesty that when I went to school, I was never taught how to study. Would have been nice to have at least had Concise Learning around (although it appears to be a new book as of this year).
    3. Excellent point here. In fact I've been pinging many middle level managers on this very topic in relation to their employees and their abilities to complete tasks and projects. The end result is, they have all asked me to prepare a course to conduct in their office to teach the basics of mind mapping and how to apply this technique to their daily lives.

And what, do you suppose am I using to develop the course? Why, mind mapping, of course, and on the iPad no less.

Piko

7. ginopiazza49

ginopiazza49
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

8. jaybrass73

jaybrass73
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    iThoughtsHD - just downloaded, really pleased with the functionality of it, seems pretty easy to navigate round

9. bdegrande

bdegrande
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I use iThoughts HD and like it quite a bit, I just got MindNode Pro for the Mac as part of the Mac Update bundle and will see if they will work together, if not I can always get MindNode's iPad app.

10. pik0

pik0
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Nice!! They also have an iPhone/iPod Touch version. If you sign up for a free dropbox account, you can easily exchange the map files between devices and access from your desktop. If you save in the freemind format (.mm), the files can be accessed by just about every mind map app.

Piko