What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Milwaukee County Zoo Orangutans are Big iPad 2 Fans!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
orangutan.JPG

Fantastic story on Cult of Mac today featuring some very tech-savvy orang-utans at the Milwaukee County Zoo, who have their very own iPad 2s to play with! Apparently the whole thing first started as a joke between Scott Engel, who is responsible for setting up the iPad Enrichment Program at the zoo for the orang-utans, and one of the zoo keepers, as a result of a story in UK tabloid, The Sun. According to Cult of Mac, Engel visits the orang-utans for 20 minutes, three or four times a week, and shares his iPad 2 (brave man!) with two orang-utans called MJ and Mahal. They are not allowed to play with the tablets unsupervised, however, as they are strong enough to snap one in half in an instant, according to Richard Zimmerman, executive director of Orangutan Outreach. For the most part, the orang-utans are allowed to play with the iPads through their cage doors, and apparently they have various favourite apps, including DrawFree finger painting, and the interactive book, The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore, which is a big favourite. They also like to watch TV on the iPads. And, best of all, they like to watch wildlife programmes, including ones about orang-utans, with Engel being convinced that MJ has a crush on David Attenborough because she just stares at him whenever he’s on the screen! Aw!

The scheme has been so successful that Zimmerman intends to extend it to other zoos, such as Atlanta, Phoenix and Honolulu.

Source: These Orangutans Just Love Playing With Their iPads | Cult of Mac

accessoriesguy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.cellularfactory.com
Wow, that is very amazing. They are using the ipads like little kids, learning to use the first simple tasks. If they add those writing and reading apps, who knows what may start to happen.

Curse you Apple for the beginnings of Super Orang-utans!!

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
I'm thinking Planet of the Apes!!

The Archangel

Did you mean something like this ??

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Attachments

• image-3979014378.png
    image-3979014378.png
    462.2 KB · Views: 614

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I fear this only gives ammunition to those who claim iPads are tablets suited to the lowest common denominator consumer market segment. :D

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jsh1120 said:
Unfortunately I fear this only gives ammunition to those who claim iPads are tablets suited to the lowest common denominator consumer market segment. :D

Works for me!!!!

Sent from my beloved iPad 2 using iPF...... All For One And One For All.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh, well, we are related! Stimulation is good as long as it is just part of their day.

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Most reactions