What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft takes on iPad with a new Windows ad

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score

Microsoft has been trying to penetrate the tablet sector for some time now, with no notable success. However, one can’t blame the company for not trying. With the advent of Windows 8, Microsoft has launched a series of very aggressive ads that directly attack Apple and Android products.

With the latest commercial it has released, Microsoft takes on the iPad up front, without the semi-subtle jokes we have seen in the Nokia Lumia 920 video. This is war out in the open.

The new broadcast is an advertisement for a Dell ​​tablet running Windows 8. The back story of the commercial is very minimalistic. The Windows 8 tablet and the iPad are placed next to one another, and a user is trying to perform various tasks on both gadgets. In the background, one can hear a Siri like voice commenting on the actions the user is trying to perform.

So how does Microsoft try to persuade us that Windows tablets are better? Well, if one is used to pinching when trying to zoom, they will naturally feel more at ease with the Dell tablet, but not with the iPad. The robotic voice coming from the iPad says “I’m sorry, I don’t zoom like that. Ouch! Ouch!†Then the person demonstrating in the video naturally slides an SD card into the Windows 8 gadget, but there’s no SD slot located anywhere on the Apple tablet.

The last part of the commercial showcases the fact that with the Dell computer, one can perform two actions at once (like watching a video and checking the calendar). Siri says “You can do two things at once? That’s cool!†Last but not least, there’s a price comparison between the Apple tablet and the Windows tablet - $599 versus $399.

Leaving aside the price, the iPad offers tons of functionalities the Windows one does not, but of course, a commercial made by the competition will only highlight the so called weaknesses. But honestly, is it that vital to be able to insert your SD card into your tablet, that you should judge an overall product by this feature?

Source: WinSuperSite

Last edited by a moderator:

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This kind of stuff has been going on for decades so it's nothing new. It seems Microsoft is grasping for straws though with the recent backlash on Xbox One one wonders how Microsoft is going to keep their heads above water.

AdmiralAdama

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
This kind of stuff has been going on for decades so it's nothing new. It seems Microsoft is grasping for straws though with the recent backlash on Xbox One one wonders how Microsoft is going to keep their heads above water.

I recently bought a PC with Windows 8. It sits dark in a corner. It's worse than the Xbox dashboard.

I expect to pass on XboxOne and try PS4.

As far as portable devices go we're shrinking to a
2 OS universe - iOS and Android. My opinion at least.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have (or understand) product loyalty, so these types of commercials (from both sides) have no marketing effect on me whatsoever.

I have an Ipad 3 and just added a Surface Pro to my toy collection. They are nothing alike and I like them both for what they are. Some don't like the win8 functionality or layout, but so far, I am enjoying its "newness" as I did with iO5/6.

What can I say, I like my toys.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I recently bought a PC with Windows 8. It sits dark in a corner. It's worse than the Xbox dashboard.

I expect to pass on XboxOne and try PS4.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

That's a pretty amazing prediction and I'd have thought you were crazy ten years ago to say it. But now? It's more likely to be true than not! I'm just amazed that no one at Microsoft said anything to anyone about how clunky and odd windows 8 is. Not even a peep? Oh well. I just don't see it working out for them.

Dedzdedz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jailbreak your device, buy a Camera Connection Kit, install iFile from Cydia... And there you go, SD card and USB on your iPad. :)

André

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this a Microsoft ad or a DELL ad? Clarify if possible. the title of this thread is misleading if this is an ad paid for by Dell.

Apple, Dell, MS and the rest want to sell product and their ads will try to do whatever it takes. Nothing new here.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't have (or understand) product loyalty, so these types of commercials (from both sides) have no marketing effect on me whatsoever.

I have an Ipad 3 and just added a Surface Pro to my toy collection. They are nothing alike and I like them both for what they are. Some don't like the win8 functionality or layout, but so far, I am enjoying its "newness" as I did with iO5/6.

What can I say, I like my toys.

you do have brand loyalty and it comes from advertising. We ALL have some loyalty to one thing or another; it is unavoidable.

Sometimes it is based on emotions and sometimes, demonstrable goodless and clearly superior products.

Are you on other forums or just this one?

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

You forgot the two guys in a garage and their OS. As with all tech, some pair of fellas in a garage will build a better product. This is the way of the (tech) world.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you do have brand loyalty and it comes from advertising. We ALL have some loyalty to one thing or another; it is unavoidable.

Sometimes it is based on emotions and sometimes, demonstrable goodless and clearly superior products.

Are you on other forums or just this one?

Multiple forums.

I join the forums for products I need to gather more information on. When I bought my first Ipad, I came here and performed a search to help me find the "arrow" keys on my keyboard =D

As far as some thinking there will only be 2 OS's, I seriously doubt it. iOS and Android's OS didn't exist 6 years ago. The introduction of these added two new OS's.

The future is uncertain when it comes to technology. 15 years ago people said only one OS would survive, and yet we still have several.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Forgot to address brand loyalty. I do not have brand loyalty. However, I do have "product" loyalty when it's an exceptional product. For example, I would recommend an iPad or SP because they are great products, but neither will create a desire to purchase an Xbox or iPhone. Brands mean nothing to me, only my own hands on assessments and personal judgments help me decide.

fb si

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Brand loyalty comes from a company providing a reliable, quality product. Not advertising. Honda, Toyota and Apple are prime examples.

It's always wise to consider new products, but on the tech world, I refuse to pay to be a beta tester. And that's exactly what MS has a reputation of doing to people. Much like GM, Ford and Chrysler did to their loyal customers decades ago.

If MS wasnt so incompetent, Apple would've died in the 1990's. MS actually forces people like me to buy their competition. Lol

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't consider brand loyalty. I have loyalty to ME as a consumer. If a product performs better for me, and I trust that it will continue to perform better, then I buy. Judging by track record is part of my screening process. The same with stocks -- I buy certain ones because I think they will perform better, but that doesn't mean I have brand loyalty.

Most reactions

Latest posts