1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Microsoft takes on iPad with a new Windows ad

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by RaduTyrsina, Jun 17, 2013.

1. RaduTyrsina

RaduTyrsina News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +46 / 0

Microsoft has been trying to penetrate the tablet sector for some time now, with no notable success. However, one can’t blame the company for not trying. With the advent of Windows 8, Microsoft has launched a series of very aggressive ads that directly attack Apple and Android products.

With the latest commercial it has released, Microsoft takes on the iPad up front, without the semi-subtle jokes we have seen in the Nokia Lumia 920 video. This is war out in the open.

The new broadcast is an advertisement for a Dell ​​tablet running Windows 8. The back story of the commercial is very minimalistic. The Windows 8 tablet and the iPad are placed next to one another, and a user is trying to perform various tasks on both gadgets. In the background, one can hear a Siri like voice commenting on the actions the user is trying to perform.

So how does Microsoft try to persuade us that Windows tablets are better? Well, if one is used to pinching when trying to zoom, they will naturally feel more at ease with the Dell tablet, but not with the iPad. The robotic voice coming from the iPad says “I’m sorry, I don’t zoom like that. Ouch! Ouch!†Then the person demonstrating in the video naturally slides an SD card into the Windows 8 gadget, but there’s no SD slot located anywhere on the Apple tablet.

The last part of the commercial showcases the fact that with the Dell computer, one can perform two actions at once (like watching a video and checking the calendar). Siri says “You can do two things at once? That’s cool!†Last but not least, there’s a price comparison between the Apple tablet and the Windows tablet - $599 versus $399.

Leaving aside the price, the iPad offers tons of functionalities the Windows one does not, but of course, a commercial made by the competition will only highlight the so called weaknesses. But honestly, is it that vital to be able to insert your SD card into your tablet, that you should judge an overall product by this feature?

Source: WinSuperSite
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2014
  2. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    This kind of stuff has been going on for decades so it's nothing new. It seems Microsoft is grasping for straws though with the recent backlash on Xbox One one wonders how Microsoft is going to keep their heads above water.
  3. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +597 / 0
    I recently bought a PC with Windows 8. It sits dark in a corner. It's worse than the Xbox dashboard.

I expect to pass on XboxOne and try PS4.

As far as portable devices go we're shrinking to a
    2 OS universe - iOS and Android. My opinion at least.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
  4. ardchoille

ardchoille iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +210 / 1
    I couldn't agree more.
  5. Krooked

Krooked iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I don't have (or understand) product loyalty, so these types of commercials (from both sides) have no marketing effect on me whatsoever.

I have an Ipad 3 and just added a Surface Pro to my toy collection. They are nothing alike and I like them both for what they are. Some don't like the win8 functionality or layout, but so far, I am enjoying its "newness" as I did with iO5/6.

What can I say, I like my toys.
  6. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0
    That's a pretty amazing prediction and I'd have thought you were crazy ten years ago to say it. But now? It's more likely to be true than not! I'm just amazed that no one at Microsoft said anything to anyone about how clunky and odd windows 8 is. Not even a peep? Oh well. I just don't see it working out for them.
  7. Dedzdedz

Dedzdedz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Jailbreak your device, buy a Camera Connection Kit, install iFile from Cydia... And there you go, SD card and USB on your iPad. :)

André
    • Like Like x 1
  8. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +597 / 0
    I may yet become a felon. ;)

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    Is this a Microsoft ad or a DELL ad? Clarify if possible. the title of this thread is misleading if this is an ad paid for by Dell.

Apple, Dell, MS and the rest want to sell product and their ads will try to do whatever it takes. Nothing new here.
  10. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    you do have brand loyalty and it comes from advertising. We ALL have some loyalty to one thing or another; it is unavoidable.

Sometimes it is based on emotions and sometimes, demonstrable goodless and clearly superior products.

Are you on other forums or just this one?
  11. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    You forgot the two guys in a garage and their OS. As with all tech, some pair of fellas in a garage will build a better product. This is the way of the (tech) world.
  12. Krooked

Krooked iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Multiple forums.

I join the forums for products I need to gather more information on. When I bought my first Ipad, I came here and performed a search to help me find the "arrow" keys on my keyboard =D

As far as some thinking there will only be 2 OS's, I seriously doubt it. iOS and Android's OS didn't exist 6 years ago. The introduction of these added two new OS's.

The future is uncertain when it comes to technology. 15 years ago people said only one OS would survive, and yet we still have several.
  13. Krooked

Krooked iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Forgot to address brand loyalty. I do not have brand loyalty. However, I do have "product" loyalty when it's an exceptional product. For example, I would recommend an iPad or SP because they are great products, but neither will create a desire to purchase an Xbox or iPhone. Brands mean nothing to me, only my own hands on assessments and personal judgments help me decide.
  14. fb si

fb si iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Brand loyalty comes from a company providing a reliable, quality product. Not advertising. Honda, Toyota and Apple are prime examples.

It's always wise to consider new products, but on the tech world, I refuse to pay to be a beta tester. And that's exactly what MS has a reputation of doing to people. Much like GM, Ford and Chrysler did to their loyal customers decades ago.

If MS wasnt so incompetent, Apple would've died in the 1990's. MS actually forces people like me to buy their competition. Lol
  15. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I don't consider brand loyalty. I have loyalty to ME as a consumer. If a product performs better for me, and I trust that it will continue to perform better, then I buy. Judging by track record is part of my screening process. The same with stocks -- I buy certain ones because I think they will perform better, but that doesn't mean I have brand loyalty.
  16. techguru

techguru iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok the advert shows the weaknesses but really if you want to put your own photos on your ipad. Don't use a card. Use iCloud. Also Microsoft have forgotten one of the major critical aspects of tablet computing. It needs to be hack proof. Why would they put an insecure OS base like the windows kernel on a ultra portable device. With iOS I have never been hacked or trolled for data. I have with windows.

Good bye Microsoft and good luck
  17. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0
    I hear ya but the cloud isn't as convenient as the SD card slot. I like iPads better than another tablet but don't pretend that USB and SD card slots aren't darned convenient. Most apple people know this much. Just saying.
  18. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +459 / 0
    Life moves on .....DVD burners use to be a necessary now disappearing from most computers. Wifi is cleaner and easier...besides if you need to load sd cards or usb flash drives you can buy inexpensive small wifi adapters that support sd cards and USB plus wifi hot spot make it easy to transfer or,stream any thing. Some ultra books only have one USB slot now......the future drives and cards will be wifi....
    The answer...
    This adapter is awesome.....well worth the $60. Streams to 3 devices at once inc computers, tablets and phones even iPod touch's
    http://www.ipadforums.net/portable-wifi-drives/109949-wi-reader-dw09-adapter-ipad-iphone-ipod.html

Same thing with wifi printers some even have hot spot wifi. Ie wifi direct no net work required.
  19. s2mikey

s2mikey iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +126 / 0
    I do suppose that the times are a changin, aren't they? I did notice that Mac book pros and airs don't have optical drives whilst checking them out the other day. Interesting.