Microsoft Prepares to Launch its Own iPad Rival

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by Maura, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Maura

Maura iPadForums News Team

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    [​IMG]

Amidst all the talk of the arrival of a plethora of Windows 8 tablets in the fourth quarter of 2012, Ina Fried at All Things D writes that Microsoft may well be about to enter the (up until now) rather one-sided tablet wars not just with software, but with its own hardware, in the form of a Microsoft tablet. Fried says that although Microsoft has not made any comment so far about the possibility of a Microsoft-branded tablet, she believes that the company will take the opportunity of an event that it is holding in Los Angeles this coming Monday to announce the tablet. Fried’s sources say that Microsoft’s tablet range could possibly include models with ARM-based processors, as well as others with more traditional PC processors. Both Fried and The Wrap website say that they have heard that Microsoft will be building its own tablets, which would be quite a bold move for the company, as it has tended to let others make the hardware while it rakes in the cash for all the software running on said hardware. Will be very interesting to see on Monday if Microsoft does decide to take on Apple at its own game!

Source:
    Microsoft Is Doing Its Own Tablet. How Do You Like Them Apples? - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Techgeek32

Techgeek32 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am curious to see it.
  3. Mini_mi

Mini_mi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Not the first time they've tried this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  4. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Bring it on. I like having more choices in the marketplace, no matter what I end up buying.
  5. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,353 / 1
    It's a win - win proposition.

Either they will increase competition in the market, or we can have fun mocking them, or both. ;)
  6. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Lol. Good one.

It doesn't matter to me that Microsoft has tried before. I'd be happy to see more competition.

Apple tried a tablet platform called Newton long before iPad, and that fizzled. Props to companies that are willing to take another run at things. Business involves risk.
  7. petermillard

petermillard iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Yep, good for competition to have another player in the game, and on a purely personal note I'd like to see them produce a decent 7" device - though I expect it'll be ~10" and pitched as the 'tablet for business'.

Be funny if it turned out to be just a big Zune, though, wouldn't it? ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Microsoft will release a 12" Intel based tablet for business users that weights 3 pounds and has a 4 hour battery life.... You read it here first.
  9. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Actually there's that kind of bashing on various tech sites I've seen. The comments from people -- often flame wars from fanboys of various platforms -- are sometimes entertaining, but not original.
  10. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Not bashing, I'm completely serious.
  11. Sonicrobby

Sonicrobby iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    To me the issues with the competitor tablets is the choice of material they use. I just can't stand holding a plastic tablet, it just feels like a toy to me... This is just me though, I personally love the aesthetics of apple products, to them its as much look and feel and functionality, but I feel others just aim for the functionality purpose. Though I am really anxious to see what the tablet would look like.
  12. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    That could be fun. Steve Ballmer could wheel it onstage on a hand truck, with it plugged into a long extension cord. Hope the "Intel Inside" sticker won't be so big that it'll obscure part of the screen.
  13. astonblake

astonblake iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am eagerly waiting for watch it.Hope so it will amazing.
  14. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +443 / 0
    Agree that Apple makes attractive products. For me, design is nice, but function is primary. I like that my Samsung Galaxy Note has a plastic back. I can change out the battery, add or replace an SD card, and the back pops on and off easily. I can also replace the back for less than 10 bucks if I need to replace it or want to swap out the color.

My Note seems well built. I dropped it from about 4 feet and it bounced off a wooden bench onto the ground and it survived without any damage. My TPU backing has a little road rash, though.
  15. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,534 / 1
    They're going to have to improve on the battery life if they hope to grab a large slice of the business market.A tablet for business users with a battery that won't last through a business day could restrict it's usefulness.
  16. Bosvaark

Bosvaark iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Toshiba and a number of other OEM suppliers have all tried this with tablets and Windoze 7, poorer battery life, sluggish OS and touch screens and heavy, so let's see what occurs.
  17. Gerryboy

Gerryboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would think its a rumour
  18. seneca18

seneca18 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    Microsoft may have taken a trick out of Apple's playbook with the secretive type press conference but in my opinion they just failed this tablet announcement. What is great about when Apple has an event like this where they show us a new product is that the product becomes available soon after. They take advantage of the hype and media coverage. The "Surface" will not be available till the fall. By then many will forget and Apple will already be well on their way to developing the next iPad. I could be wrong but I am very curious to see this thing in person.
  19. this man

this man iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From what I've read one of the central issues (if not THE issue) is how the OEM tablet makers are going to react to this. Microsoft will be in competition with their own clients. This will be a sticky situation I'm sure.
  20. this man

this man iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only way this makes sense to me is by putting two and two together. First I've read that Microsoft is likely to charge an exorbitant fee to the OEMS tablet makers for their tablet version of Windows. Next we see Microsoft announcing their own tablet.

I can see this is leading to a situation where only Microsoft will be selling Windows tablets. This reminds me of the time when Steve Jobs killed the Apple clone market.