What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Microsoft Prepares to Launch its Own iPad Rival

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
Microsoft_Office.JPG

Amidst all the talk of the arrival of a plethora of Windows 8 tablets in the fourth quarter of 2012, Ina Fried at All Things D writes that Microsoft may well be about to enter the (up until now) rather one-sided tablet wars not just with software, but with its own hardware, in the form of a Microsoft tablet. Fried says that although Microsoft has not made any comment so far about the possibility of a Microsoft-branded tablet, she believes that the company will take the opportunity of an event that it is holding in Los Angeles this coming Monday to announce the tablet. Fried’s sources say that Microsoft’s tablet range could possibly include models with ARM-based processors, as well as others with more traditional PC processors. Both Fried and The Wrap website say that they have heard that Microsoft will be building its own tablets, which would be quite a bold move for the company, as it has tended to let others make the hardware while it rakes in the cash for all the software running on said hardware. Will be very interesting to see on Monday if Microsoft does decide to take on Apple at its own game!

Source:
Microsoft Is Doing Its Own Tablet. How Do You Like Them Apples? - Ina Fried - Mobile - AllThingsD

Mini_mi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not the first time they've tried this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bring it on. I like having more choices in the marketplace, no matter what I end up buying.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's a win - win proposition.

Either they will increase competition in the market, or we can have fun mocking them, or both. ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a win - win proposition.

Either they will increase competition in the market, or we can have fun mocking them, or both. ;)

Lol. Good one.

It doesn't matter to me that Microsoft has tried before. I'd be happy to see more competition.

Apple tried a tablet platform called Newton long before iPad, and that fizzled. Props to companies that are willing to take another run at things. Business involves risk.

petermillard

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yep, good for competition to have another player in the game, and on a purely personal note I'd like to see them produce a decent 7" device - though I expect it'll be ~10" and pitched as the 'tablet for business'.

Be funny if it turned out to be just a big Zune, though, wouldn't it? ;)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Microsoft will release a 12" Intel based tablet for business users that weights 3 pounds and has a 4 hour battery life.... You read it here first.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Microsoft will release a 12" Intel based tablet for business users that weights 3 pounds and has a 4 hour battery life.... You read it here first.

Actually there's that kind of bashing on various tech sites I've seen. The comments from people -- often flame wars from fanboys of various platforms -- are sometimes entertaining, but not original.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To me the issues with the competitor tablets is the choice of material they use. I just can't stand holding a plastic tablet, it just feels like a toy to me... This is just me though, I personally love the aesthetics of apple products, to them its as much look and feel and functionality, but I feel others just aim for the functionality purpose. Though I am really anxious to see what the tablet would look like.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not bashing, I'm completely serious.

That could be fun. Steve Ballmer could wheel it onstage on a hand truck, with it plugged into a long extension cord. Hope the "Intel Inside" sticker won't be so big that it'll obscure part of the screen.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To me the issues with the competitor tablets is the choice of material they use. I just can't stand holding a plastic tablet, it just feels like a toy to me... This is just me though, I personally love the aesthetics of apple products, to them its as much look and feel and functionality, but I feel others just aim for the functionality purpose. Though I am really anxious to see what the tablet would look like.

Agree that Apple makes attractive products. For me, design is nice, but function is primary. I like that my Samsung Galaxy Note has a plastic back. I can change out the battery, add or replace an SD card, and the back pops on and off easily. I can also replace the back for less than 10 bucks if I need to replace it or want to swap out the color.

My Note seems well built. I dropped it from about 4 feet and it bounced off a wooden bench onto the ground and it survived without any damage. My TPU backing has a little road rash, though.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
thewitt said:

They're going to have to improve on the battery life if they hope to grab a large slice of the business market.A tablet for business users with a battery that won't last through a business day could restrict it's usefulness.

Most reactions