Microsoft kills Courier

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by briloop, Apr 30, 2010.

1. briloop

briloop iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  2. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The iPad is s game changer. HP and Microsoft both know the old slap windows on a Slab is not the future....
  3. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Web OS is coming, Web OS is Coming, Web OS is Coming......
  4. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    So true now that HP bought Palm. My wife has the Palm Pre, and I am not very impressed with WebOS. But, it is at least a good start.
  5. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This was a good deal for HP. MS is not in a driver seat because they are building a product. They have to rely on another company to build "it". Wonder what we will see with this new agreement with HTC.
  6. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0

I have had a Palm Pre since June and it works great. Not a lot of Apps but it is a phone so I really don't care. I can get access to the value of all of my portfolios through yahoo finance by using the built in web browser and Flash is coming to it before the end of the year.

If HP puts a lot of polishing on the Web OS and places it on a Tablet the iPad will have some serious competition.
  7. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Microsoft will focus their efforts on [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttgx9ygMXz8"]Surface Computing[/ame] which when implemented in the consumer market in desks, tables, and counter tops will be the leading technology. The iPad is extremely small in comparison to this.

The next leap forward will come in the last half of this decade and that will be voice recognition.

I am just waiting for the lawsuits against Apple to start after people permanently damage their fingers from overuse of the iPad.

It will happen!
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  8. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think this is bad for the ipad in the long term. If there isn't competition, there isn't a real reason that Apple is pushed to make it better. Even if the slate and courier were crappy products, there would have been something that was a good feature.
  9. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't think so, Apple has invested lots of money into this platform. True competition will not exist until a quality product is introduced with a great UI. By the time that happens the iPad will have such a strong following it will be tough to put a dent in its marketshare. Apple is constantly working to their products
  10. Temp40

Temp40 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I understand what you are trying to say, thing is competition can be good to help lower prices for the consumer however I don't think lack of competition will have any impact overall on the iPad evolving to be better and better
  11. Finnedog

Finnedog iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I agree. competiion like this is good, Windows machines are not all bad, I am certainly more used to them and the interface having dealt with Microsoft since DOS 4.0 but they just don't work all the time.

I think it is incredible that these two huge companies have capitulated to Apple because they saw that their machines just can't compete.

Will be interesting to read what all the iPad naysayers from the last 3 months write on Microsoft and HP's capitulation.
  12. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    There will be competitors, just not as lame as the Slate and Courier. HP is going to try and make the WebOS the OS for the Slate.
  13. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    LOL, Surface...

I actually got to use this thing last year at a studio that did some dev for it. It's pretty choppy and not nearly as smooth as an iPad...but the interface (while dated now) is actually pretty cool and very NOT windows. It shows that MS does "get" touch devices...they just don't know how to market them!
  14. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I found the screen colors quite washed out, kind of annoying...
  15. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    As with everything else over time it will improve and become cheaper. Remember how bad LCD monitors were when they first came out? Quite expensive too!
  16. Sonny Burnett

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    DUDE LOSE THE LINK IN YOUR SIGNATURE THAT GOES TO: myPadMedia | Download Unlimited eBooks, Comic Books, & Newspapers for the iPad Tablet

IT IS A WELL KNOWN SCAM SITE !!!

FINE PRINT FROM mypadmedia.com

myPadMedia.com is in no way affiliated with or endorsed by Apple or the iPad team.
    myPadMedia.com does not provide a direct database for downloading. myPadMedia.com provides members with the necessary software, tutorials & unlimited technical support for their downloading needs.
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  17. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm pretty confident that Apple would do a better job of it but they're more into mobile now.
  18. Always Write

Always Write iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK, I feel kinda silly. I saw "Courier" and first thought of the font. :eek: I guess I've been spending too much time working with fonts recently, yeah, that's my excuse. :D
  19. Seadog

Seadog Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +52 / 0
    The big future is not in touch tables, but in TVs that blend into a wall when not in use and will go into every room. They may take the form of pictures at first, or false windows that can show what is outside the wall. Something like the iPad will be used to control the screen and also function as a mobile computer. Linking processors will allow the use of external devices and multitasking of a whole new form. Imagine being miles away and your home computer is doing complex functions and sending he results to your iPad.

With big screens that mimic windows, a building can be more secure and still give an airy feeling. The video feeds can also be used to detect intruders thru infrared detection and video.

There will be a limited demand for touch tables, but they restrict movement and our whole need is to compute on the go.
  20. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I'm actually working there this week.

[​IMG]

There it is, the fabled surface computer...lol.

The crazy things you see in Hollywood....I worked at a company 2 years ago that had a big screen auto stereo display...that thing was bad ass!!

I was looking at it today and thinking....doesn't it kinda look like a giant iPad?