What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messenger bags for ipad2

farmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

bdullea

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a Timbukto messenger bag. I bought from amazon. Holds my iPad in one section and has second section with pockets etc for things lick pens, keys stuff like that, it is also light and weatherproof as well. Cost $60.00 and comes in lots of colors. Would not leave home with out it.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use a Timbukto messenger bag. I bought from amazon. Holds my iPad in one section and has second section with pockets etc for things lick pens, keys stuff like that, it is also light and weatherproof as well. Cost $60.00 and comes in lots of colors. Would not leave home with out it.

Another vote for the Timbuk2 messenger bag, especially for the money. I originally purchased one for my 11" netbook on sale (about $35 as I recall.) Found, like others, that my netbook wouldn't quite fit in the dedicated compartment. Held onto it and found that it was perfect for the iPad 2.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003386GAE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d3_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18AS53QP0P83NBEVXJJ5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: Timbuk2 Freestyle iPad/iPad2 Messenger Bag: Clothing[/ame]

More elegant (and more expensive) alternatives are available from Waterfield Designs. I have the iPad Travel Express. (Or I will have on Father's Day. :)) The iPad Wallet is similar and has a dedicated compartment for the Apple Wireless Keyboard. (Won't work with the Origami Workstation cover for the keyboard, though.) And if you're into leather, their Muzetto bag ($200 for the iPad size) is very good looking.

BTW, Waterfield Designs makes extremely durable bags. I have a laptop bag that I've used/abused for years that looks as good as the day I bought it. And unlike almost every other manufacturer, their bags usually have bright interior colors that enable you to SEE what's in the d**n bag!

All in all, I'd recommend Waterfield Designs bags without reservation. You pay a bit more but you'll understand why if you own one.

Need a case or bag for your laptop, tablet, mobile device, or gadget? We've got you covered - WaterField Design - Made in USA

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
F

farmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I found this brand as I was searching. The multiple section pockets caught my attention. I'm still on the search comparing between products. Thanks for the suggestion.

OP
F

farmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Another vote for the Timbuk2 messenger bag, especially for the money. I originally purchased one for my 11" netbook on sale (about $35 as I recall.) Found, like others, that my netbook wouldn't quite fit in the dedicated compartment. Held onto it and found that it was perfect for the iPad 2.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003386GAE/ref=s9_simh_gw_p200_d3_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=18AS53QP0P83NBEVXJJ5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846"]Amazon.com: Timbuk2 Freestyle iPad/iPad2 Messenger Bag: Clothing[/ame]

More elegant (and more expensive) alternatives are available from Waterfield Designs. I have the iPad Travel Express. (Or I will have on Father's Day. :)) The iPad Wallet is similar and has a dedicated compartment for the Apple Wireless Keyboard. (Won't work with the Origami Workstation cover for the keyboard, though.) And if you're into leather, their Muzetto bag ($200 for the iPad size) is very good looking.

BTW, Waterfield Designs makes extremely durable bags. I have a laptop bag that I've used/abused for years that looks as good as the day I bought it. And unlike almost every other manufacturer, their bags usually have bright interior colors that enable you to SEE what's in the d**n bag!

All in all, I'd recommend Waterfield Designs bags without reservation. You pay a bit more but you'll understand why if you own one.

Need a case or bag for your laptop, tablet, mobile device, or gadget? We've got you covered - WaterField Design - Made in USA

The Muzetto bag is a little too pricey, but the WaterField Design product seems more reasonable for purchase. Are you getting the iPad Travel Express bag as a gift from your children?
I'm considering one between the iPad Travel Express and the SGP Dressen messenger bag. Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.

OP
F

farmboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a mobileedge scanfast that I bought for my netbook: ScanFast Ultra Portable / Netbook Messenger Bag - TSA Approved / Compliant - Airport Security Checkpoint Friendly | Mobile Edge For some reason they don't show the second zipped compartment where the netbook goes. I have my ipad in a soft zipped case and it fits in the netbook compartment perfectly... like it was made for it. The bag is pretty small, plenty of space to store accessores and power cords, fits my needs great.

This case looks very convenient when traveling. It looks very firm and have sturdy resistance for good protection. Thank you for sharing.

Shadowhachi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found this great bag at REI.
It's the Osprey Warp vertical bag. Plenty of room for everything!

Attachments

• image-495260433.png
    image-495260433.png
    144.1 KB · Views: 1,130

Antgod

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have Timbuktu sleeve and messenger bag both work great

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Muzetto bag is a little too pricey, but the WaterField Design product seems more reasonable for purchase. Are you getting the iPad Travel Express bag as a gift from your children?
I'm considering one between the iPad Travel Express and the SGP Dressen messenger bag. Thank you for your input! Much appreciated.

The Muzetto from Waterfield Design exceeds my budget as well, but it's a beautiful bag, especially if you carry nothing else.

The problem I have to deal with is a bit different. When I travel I have to take both a 15" laptop and my iPad 2. (I need the laptop for work, but in today's sardine can airline seats I can't get it open if the a*****e in front of me insists on cranking his seat back into my lap. I don't trust the airlines with my laptop in checked luggage so I have to carry on both the laptop and the iPad.) But once I'm on site at a client site I can often carry just the iPad to meetings.

So, bottom line is that I have to have a case that will accommodate both a laptop and the iPad and a case for the iPad, alone.

I have a Waterfield Design "Cargo" bag that I use for the laptop (and gobs of other stuff including its huge power brick.) It wears like iron and still looks good after almost five years. However, it won't hold both the laptop and the Timbuk2 iPad case. So I need a case for the iPad that can either work alone or be fitted into the Cargo bag along with the laptop. The Waterfield Design Travel Express meets that requirement.

Looking at the SGP Dresden Messenger bag, I'd have a couple of (personal) concerns. First, they don't provide dimensions on their website but it appears to be about the same size as my Timbuk2 bag, so it wouldn't work for me.

More importantly, it appears that the strap attachment may be a weak point on the SGP Dresden. I know from experience that it's better to have the strap attached to the sides of the bag instead of the top. Less weight/stress on the attachment points when the weight doesn't pull "up" on material that holds the strap ring attachment. The Waterfield Design bags all attach to the sides rather than the "top" of the bag as you carry it for that reason. And they're quadruple stitched. They simply don't come loose.

I'm also a big fan of Waterfield's straps; they support the bag well and stay on your shoulder comfortably. Can't tell if the SGP Dresden is as good on that score, but the strap shown on the SGP website (from what I can see) looks a bit less "robust."

Another difference appears to be that the Waterfield Travel Express opens only on two sides while the SGP bag opens completely with a zipper that opens three sides. In my experience, the shorter the zipper, the better. A bit less convenient, but less likely to "catch" and be subject to damage. I have a lot of faith in the Waterfield zippers. They're industrial strength. Not sure about the SGP Dresden. And like the strap, if the zipper fails, the bag is worthless. The SGP "two zipper" design just doubles the risk of failure, imo.

To be fair, though, the SGP opens completely and lies flat. Some may find that to be a better design. Personally, I prefer the Waterfield Design approach with less risk of losing stuff with an accidentally open zipper, but I'm an absent-minded klutz. YMMV.

Finally, the Waterfield bag is made in San Francisco; the SGP is "designed in California and manufactured in China. I'm not a nationalist about products. I have many Chinese made products (including the iPad). But if I can support a company that employs folks living in SF, I try to do so. And I know from experience that Waterfield Design's quality control and customer service are top notch. If you check, I think you'll find that complaints about their products are very few and far between.

Apologies for the lengthy post but some of the features of products like these are subtle. I don't have any personal experience with SGP products and can make judgments only on the basis of their website. They may well sell a very good product. But the absence of critical information (like the size of the bag and its construction details) doesn't impress me.

Finally, to answer your question, yes, my six year old is giving me the Travel Express bag for Father's Day (with some guidance and financial backing from her mom.) :)

Last edited:

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
farmboy said:
I've searched online for some messenger bags, but I couldn't really decide what would be best for my new i-device.
Anyone have or is using one that they would like to recommend me?

These were some i found:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/rickshaw-bagworks-lightweight-ipad-2-messenger-bag/

The Ristretto for iPad and iPad 2 Messenger Bag by: TOM BIHN

SGP iPad 2 Dresden Klaus9i Messenger Bag [Black]

I am currently using the Rickshaw iPad zero waste bag, fantastic well made zero waste bag. I purchased 3 additional items with the bag, the shoulder pad for the strap, a cross strap to hold the position while riding, and an inside accessory pouch for the main compartment. The iPad pouch is large enough to fit my iPad 2 while using my Oberon Tree of Life case (perfect fit, easy in and out). More or less the toughest part of buying this bag was looking at all the different configurations and colors and making a decision, they all looked so good. It is really the perfectly designed bag,from the zero waste manufacturing to the material to the finishing, right down to the way the strap is offset to fit over the head to the opposite shoulder.

http://www.rickshawbags.com/bags/ipad-2-bag/messenger-bag-for-ipad-2-black.html
From their site:
A new bag for the digital era. We are proud to introduce our bag for iPad 2 in Black Cordura™ Nylon, made completely from scratch in SF. Inspired by our Zero family, our new Messenger Bag for iPad 2 Bag is ideal for urban jaunts around the city in a sleek square form factor.

Featuring a padded front pocket and base, our bag perfectly coddles your iPad "au natural" or while inside one of our handmade horizontal sleeves. Behind the dedicated iPad pocket is a generous large interior area with ample room for files, folios a sweater and two velcro strips for our accessory system --we've even created two small front pockets for your pens or keys. Travel light. Travel fast.

The Messenger Bag for iPad 2 by Rickshaw. Perfect to port your digital life.

• Perfectly sized to hold an iPad or iPad 2
• Dedicated pocket to hold iPad naked, or while in a horizontal sleeve.
• Padded bottom and front pocket for all around protection
• Quick adjust cam on slim strap for sleek profile, comfort and ease
• Two front slots for several pens or keys
• D-ring for cross strap, keys or water bottle
• Large rear compartment for files, a sweater, good book and folio
• Sleek square profile for urban or professional appeal.
• Black Cordura™ Nylon Color
• Made from scratch in San Francisco

Specs:
10"H x 11.25"W x 3.75"D
1.0lb weight

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

SingingSabre

iPF Noob
Reaction score

This.

I just sent my years old (laptop messenger) bag to them to get repaired under their lifetime warranty. I'll either get it back repaired or I'll get a fat store credit for a new one.

Build quality is fantastic and their service is bar-none. You certainly get what you pay for with them.

Most reactions