What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Messages...I-Pad 3 vs I Phone 4

Jim Durkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can send and receive "Messages" from a variety of friends on my I-Phone 4, but I can receive and send only my daughters I-Phone "Messages" Why can't the I-Pad send and receive "Messages" as seamlessly as the I-Phone?
Thanks,
Jim

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Durkin said:
I can send and receive "Messages" from a variety of friends on my I-Phone 4, but I can receive and send only my daughters I-Phone "Messages" Why can't the I-Pad send and receive "Messages" as seamlessly as the I-Phone?
Thanks,
Jim

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

Do your friends have iPhones also? iMessages will only work between an iPad, iPhone or iPod touch, also a Mac.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iMessages is an Apple only service. It only works with iOS and OS X devices/computers.

On an iPhone Messages can and will fall back on SMS when it can not send your texts over the iMessage service.

A stock (not jailbroken) iPad can not do this. SMS is a separate service from data, and is only included with actual phone service. That means the iPad is limited to the iMessage service, even on an iPad with a cellular data plan.

So you need to be clear on the difference between the Messages app and iMessages. The first is the app, the second is an Apple messaging service. On the iPhone Messages can use SMS as wall as iMessages. The iPad it is iMessages, Apple to Apple, only.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect you need to look at your "Receive at..." field in Settings. You are probably receiving messages at your phone number on your iPhone. If you have updated to iOS6 you can receive at your iPhone's phone number on your iPad. Under iOS5 you are limited to receipt of messages sent to your email address.

OP
J

Jim Durkin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I Pad 3 vs I-Phone 4 Messages problem

In regards to replies, the I Pad 3 has all of the bells & whistles regarding Wi-Fi.
Regarding. I-Phone to I pad3 Messaging, only my daughters I Phone 4 ( and not my sons identical I Phone 4 ) is received on my I Pad 3.
I updated my I Pad 3 today, so hopefully, this may improve if not solve the problem.
Thanks to all, for your intelligent, knowledgeable replies.
Jim

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim Durkin said:
I Pad 3 vs I-Phone 4 Messages problem

In regards to replies, the I Pad 3 has all of the bells & whistles regarding Wi-Fi.
Regarding. I-Phone to I pad3 Messaging, only my daughters I Phone 4 ( and not my sons identical I Phone 4 ) is received on my I Pad 3.
I updated my I Pad 3 today, so hopefully, this may improve if not solve the problem.
Thanks to all, for your intelligent, knowledgeable replies.
Jim

To receive messages on your pad your son will need to send them through your email address. Each conversation started from your iPad will leave a thread where you can just continue the messaging from. Send a message to your son via his email address from your iPad, he can then respond to you on this new thread. The problem should then be solved.

I'm assuming your son does have iMessage activated.

Most reactions

Latest posts