What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Message to Android from iPad

LF from MC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Why can't I send message to Android from my iPad, but will work from my iPhone?

Thanks
Lorraine

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad only uses the iMessages service; which is Apple only. The iPhone can also send messages using SMS (which works on almost all cellphones), and will fall back on the SMS when it can't find the recipient in iMessages.

If you have a newer iPad and iPhone running the latest version of iOS, it is possible to set the iPad up to use the iPhone's SMS ability when it can't use iMessages.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are messaging apps available in the App Store, some of which have Android counterparts. With such an app, you can send messages from your iPad to Android devices. Google Hangouts is one such app. Since its offered by Google, it would have Android compatibility. Hangouts on the App Store on iTunes

Last edited:
OP
L

LF from MC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks twerppoet and scifan57, I will have to check the app out, my daughter has iPad 4, would the app work on that? I have air 2

OP
L

LF from MC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I see the app only works with iPad 5 and up. I will have to see if I want to put it on my iPad, or not.

scifan57, was there any problems using this app that you know of?

Anyway, thanks a bunch, for your help.
Lorraine

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I see the app only works with iPad 5 and up. I will have to see if I want to put it on my iPad, or not.

scifan57, was there any problems using this app that you know of?

Anyway, thanks a bunch, for your help.
Lorraine
It is compatible with every iPad running iOS 7 and onwards. It's limited to iPhone 5 and later. That's different.
There are no problems using the app on your iPad Air 2 and your daughter's iPad 4.

Last edited:
OP
L

LF from MC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks J. A.

I checked it out some more, and it looks kinda complicated, but my daughter is coming up in a couple weeks, and will check it out again, and see what we can do.

Does the Anderoid have to have the Hangout app also? From what I've seen, it looks like it has to be, but that's me, sometimes I don't see the whole story.

Thanks again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The app doesn't work any different than another messaging app, with the only limitation that it only sends texts or pictures to Gmail accounts.

It has to be installed on both devices, yours and hers, and you have to be logged in with your Gmail account, if you want to be able to use it.

Most reactions