What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merriam-Webster Launches Free iPad Dictionary App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
merriam_webster.JPG

TUAW reports that Merriam-Webster has today unveiled a free iPad dictionary app, which contains all the definitions from Merriam-Webster’s Collegiate Dictionary, and comes with voice search (courtesy of Dragon Dictation), antonyms and synonyms, example sentences, Word of the Day, and audio pronunciations.

As TUAW notes, although the app is ad-supported, it really is a bargain when compared to the Oxford English Dictionary app which costs $54.99. The app is actually an enhanced version of the Merriam-Webster iPhone app, which was the number 1 Free Reference app on the App Store back in January. The added enhancements introduced for the iPad version of the app include a Scrolling Index, which enables you to browse the whole dictionary, and a Recent History feature, so that you can keep track of the words that you’ve looked up recently. Everyone needs a dictionary at some point or other, so this is a great app to download and keep on your iPad. Even if you don’t need to use it immediately you’re bound to want to look something up at some point.

Click here to download the free app: Merriam-Webster Dictionary HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary now available on iPad for free, iTunes

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
About time they got around this. While they dithered, I've been using the dictionary.com free app since iPad 1. By now, I'm not feeling the need to switch.

I wonder how many potential users they lost with their lag. If it's like other advertising-inclusive apps, that means they cost themselves users, which mean money.

xparacha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
topoflists.com
Thanks much for sharing. They're definitely one of the best dictionaries on web. Expecting alot from the app!

Most reactions

Latest posts