1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Merck Manual: Home Edition APP

Discussion in 'iPad for Health Forum' started by skimonkey, May 16, 2012.

1. skimonkey

skimonkey Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,022 / 0
    Merck Manual: the Home Edition

Hi Everybody,

The Merck Manual: Home Edition is available now at the AppStore. This app looks like it would be a great trade off to my hard copy version of the Merck Manual I use at my clinic. What I liked about the actual book its detailed information on medical diagnoses and treatment regimes. It truly is a great reference to have both in home as well as in the clinical setting.

Looking at the Merck Manual: Home Edition App--it looks like it will fit in my needs and lighten up what I carry out into the clinic when speaking to patients. I like the fact that this app shows detailed anatomical illustrations when providing patient education and/or informative referrals.

image-4091648229.jpg

The Merck Manual App can also be a very useful tool in the home setting. It can provide a quick reference to information of known medical conditions, injury, treatment and evidence based research . What is great is that you can email a certain page or section to your health care provider or family member to share the info with them. This is really a plus, because the pages in book form is quite thin and flimsy. So you really have to take care when turning pages.

Because I have been a long time user of the Merck Manual in book form, I am pleased to see that there's an App for this great medical reference. Have a look and please let me know if any of you have this app already!

Thank you,

Skimonkey
  2. giradman

giradman iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +812 / 0
    Hi Carol - thanks for the post on the Merck Manual - used it in medical school in the late '60s and into my medical internship in the early '70s - not as necessary to me as a radiology resident but GREAT to see the publication available as an iPad app (amazing technology!) - now I went to the App Store and see that the 'Home Edition' is available for $10 - a great value for non-medical people interested in this book; however, the regular edition is $35 which would probably be more 'up my alley' - now as a retired physician, do I need it on my iPad? Not sure but you have certainly piqued my interest - will consider! BUT let me know 'how detailed' that home edition may be - might be enough for my wife & I at this point in our lives - thanks, as always - Dave :)