What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So many people are asking for info on RAM. I honestly don't get it. Is it because you think the device is slow or underperforming? Or is it that you are fixated on that spec? It seems people are just interested in the number, for the number's sake only. If the device is fast and performs well, who cares what that number is?

The iPad 1 only has 256MB of RAM, but honestly I have had no problems with the performance. iPad 2 performs even better, so that's all that should matter. iOS takes care of the rest. Who cares whether it's 1GB or 512MB?

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So many people are asking for info on RAM. I honestly don't get it. Is it because you think the device is slow or underperforming? Or is it that you are fixated on that spec? It seems people are just interested in the number, for the number's sake only. If the device is fast and performs well, who cares what that number is?

The iPad 1 only has 256MB of RAM, but honestly I have had no problems with the performance. iPad 2 performs even better, so that's all that should matter. iOS takes care of the rest. Who cares whether it's 1GB or 512MB?

Lots of people here are tech people and wanting to know the amount of system RAM is a pretty normal question I think. When you buy a computer chances are that is one of the first things you check and the iPad is a computing device. I have seen some issues with the small amount of RAM, mainly when scrolling through large or graphically intense web pages, but otherwise I agree 256MB is generally enough right now. I also have some issues with apps not starting if too many are being "multi-tasked" but I imagine with double the RAM we will just get double the apps in hibernation so I don't see more memory fixing that.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad1 : 1 x A4 CPU with 256 MB RAM
iPhone4 : 1 x A5 CPU with 512 MB RAM
iPad2 : 2 x A5 CPUs...

I hope it has more than 512 MB RAM.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone has the a4 chip not the a5 and until someone breaks it down and confirms the actual amount of RAM you shouldn't assume anything.

Sowellca

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am just curious, personally. A concrete figure on the actual amount of RAM would be nice to know. I know it will run well, as the Apple products are more tightly integrated, but coming from a PC/Win background, I just can't help wanting to know LOL. I get a vague idea of the kind of games and such that may appear if there is more RAM than iPad 1. Emphasize the word "vague" on that LOL.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reaction score
col.bris said:
It is 512mb i published it on another thread
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/03/apples_a5_cpu_in_ipad_2_has_512mb_of_ram_same_as_iphone_4_report.html
512mb is more than enough for the iPad That is double what the iPad1 is. It is the same as iPhone 4 so please do not compare android with Apple you have 2 different operating systems and different hardware I suggest you wait for testing and reviews once it ships

It really depends on the type of app you use. Most apps will be developed to work with the hardware limits, but some apps that open external content do need more RAM, simply because the opened files are large.

Take for example AutoCAD WS, the app itself runs fine, but when trying to open most drawings it constantly runs out of memory on iPad 1, even for two of the three sample drawings.

ajneuman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Autocad isn't a very good example since... It's awesome at crashing pc's because it takes up too memory as well.

Stefx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPhone has the a4 chip not the a5 and until someone breaks it down and confirms the actual amount of RAM you shouldn't assume anything.

Even worse...if 512MB RAM is appropriate for one A4 processor, two A5s should get more than 512

Most reactions

Latest posts