What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can I ask if anybody can explain why a brand new iPad mini 128Gb Retina and a 3 year old iPad 3 64Gb Retina, memories should be so different?

On both I have an App called Memory+Manager which when you press 'start' completes a diagnostic, it breaks down the diagnostic to: Free Memory, wired, active, inactive. Both devices are running iOS 8 and start with 1024 Mb. Here is the comparisons:

Mini. IPad 3

Free 346.6 Mb 38%. 624.6Mb 75.6%
Wired 158.8 Mb 17.4%. 115.3Mb 13.9%
Active 410.1Mb 47%. 70.7Mb 8.6%
Inactive 0 0%. 15.9Mb 1.9%

I would have thought with a faster insides it would be more efficient - or am I reading this wrongly?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Free, Wired, and Active/Inactive memory are in constant flux. If you had exact same apps, exact same settings, did the reading right after boot so no apps are running, and took the reading at exactly the same time after boot; you'd still have half a dozen variables you can't control that would affect what you are seeing.

And, how much memory (RAM) is being used at any point isn't a clear indicator of efficiency. In some way, the less RAM used sounds more efficient, as in smaller app runtimes and resources. In other ways less RAM means the system could be more efficient. Quick app switching or having resources ready to use quickly uses up RAM, but makes the system more responsive.

Another words, what you are seeing isn't really going to tell you anything about the efficiency of either iPad. You are reading too much into the metrics. The only think that really counts is how the iPad feels when you use it. Is it responsive and quick to load new apps, or is it laggy and slow to respond to input.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I completely agree and probably didn't pose the question well. Both ipad and mini are similar in use, my iPad has probably 5 times more on it in terms of apps, photos, work etc which was why in my simplistic way it confused me.

I wholeheartedly agree the performance is in the feel and the way it they both effortlessly go from one function to another but it just doesn't seem right to be using 2 times the RAM albeit it is probably doing it more efficiently.

Thanks again, I have certainly no complaints and would not want to be without them.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

I'm not an expert by any means, so there is plenty of room to disagree.

Mostly this is just me thinking out loud about the question, putting together what I do know to create a plausible theory as to what is going on.

So, take what I said with a grain or two of salt, and don't hit me too hard if you find out I was completely mistaken. :)

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You might remember all those presentations I was doing in IWorks and all the help you gave me along the way. There are now hundreds covering every system on the Sikorsky 92 all created on an iPad in keynote if you are interested tell me how to post one and you can see it - most are happily sitting in my dropbox.

Again many thanks

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might remember all those presentations I was doing in IWorks and all the help you gave me along the way. There are now hundreds covering every system on the Sikorsky 92 all created on an iPad in keynote if you are interested tell me how to post one and you can see it - most are happily sitting in my dropbox.

Again many thanks

I would like to scratch that itch. :)

PM me a link or two, please.

OP
pilgrimav8r

pilgrimav8r

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaqqqq? It's just an app called m manager bad sectors don't come into I think!

Most reactions

Latest posts