What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory Management App

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I need a good app to clear memory. Chasing them all down by hand is a bore! I have Xsysinfo, but it crashes. I have another lost somewhere in the massive midden heap known as "purchased apps" in the app store.

I'm running the latest iOS on an iPad 3. Do you have a recommendation?

Gracias.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no need to clear memory. iOS will remove apps that are not running from memory as it needs the space.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no need to clear memory. iOS will remove apps that are not running from memory as it needs the space.

While this is generally true, and should always be true, some apps need to be closed manually because they do not allow iOS to reclaim the memory used.

I don't pretend to understand why this is so, but Skull One, who is a very experienced programmer, wrote a post on iphoneforums explaining how this happens. It appears that it is due to bad programming, but I'm not qualified to make that call.

That said, you don't need a memory manager. Just close down all apps in the multitask bar every now and then.

OP
Tuttle

Tuttle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While this is generally true, and should always be true, some apps need to be closed manually because they do not allow iOS to reclaim the memory used.

I don't pretend to understand why this is so, but Skull One, who is a very experienced programmer, wrote a post on iphoneforums explaining how this happens. It appears that it is due to bad programming, but I'm not qualified to make that call.

That said, you don't need a memory manager. Just close down all apps in the multitask bar every now and then.

Well, but it is tedious to close down all those apps after a week or so of usage. I know I know---I shouldn't wait so long, but who can remember, at least unless a problem crops up!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score

We've been developing iOS apps since day one and have never seen a scenario where iOS will not reclaim memory from an app that is not actually processing in the background.

Most reactions

Latest posts