What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memory issue

Dcawd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a low memory issue and want to see which apps are currently taking up how much space on the iPad (16gb). Not collectively, but individually. Have not added music, pix, videos for some time, so problem should only be from updates to apps, also info downloaded by readers like zinio, etc. I'd like to be able to selectively delete an app once I know how large it is in its current incarnation on the iPad. Likewise, is there a way to see how large the safari cache is before clearing it?

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as the individual apps, you can open iTunes and select Apps under the Library section. You can right-click on each one and then you can click on Get Info and that will tell you how big the app is. You can also do this by looking in the Music | iTunes | Mobile Applications folder. All you have to do is mouse-over each app and it will tell you how big each app is.

Of course you can always get a snapshot of the space on your iPad by hooking it up to iTunes and looking at the bottom of the Summary page --

ipad13.jpg

As far as the cache, I am not aware of any way to do this.

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use an app called aMonitor which gives you a nice breakdown of what is using your mem. It was free when I grabbed so hopefully it still is. Other useful info as well.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use an app called aMonitor which gives you a nice breakdown of what is using your mem. It was free when I grabbed so hopefully it still is. Other useful info as well.

I just looked for the app "aMonitor", couldn't find it. Are you sure about the name?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look for "activity monitor," the name on the iPad is aMonitor, but you have to search for the full name. Apple needs to fix that. .

OP
D

Dcawd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
C4--Many thanks for the comprehensive and helpful reply. Finding a number of apps have become quite bloated as they evolve. I have almost 1GB currently tied up in the other category. Any idea what that is, and if there is a way of cleaning it up or condensing it?

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I suspect "other" refers to documents and data that doesn't fit standard categories. Like PDF files if you have Goodreader, for instance.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apologies Chisaki I'd forgotten the name switch as it's been out for a while.

OP
D

Dcawd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I do have Goodreader files, so that may be it....

Most reactions

Latest posts