What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Meet the iPad Mini!

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_mini_first_official_pic.JPG

The wait is finally over as Apple introduced its new iPad mini tablet today! A completely new design, the new iPad is 23% thinner and 53% lighter than the third-generation iPad, which was launched earlier this year. It boasts a 7.9-inch Multi-Touch display, FaceTime HD, and iSight cameras, ultrafast wireless and 10 hours of battery life, and you can hold it in one hand.

“iPad mini is every inch an iPad. With its gorgeous 7.9-inch display, iPad mini features the same number of pixels as the original iPad and iPad 2, so you can run more than 275,000 apps designed specifically for iPad,†said Philip Schiller, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “iPad mini is as thin as a pencil and as light as a pad of paper, yet packs a fast A5 chip, FaceTime HD and 5 megapixel iSight cameras and ultrafast wireless―all while delivering up to 10 hours of battery life.â€

The iPad mini is made of aluminum and glass, and is just 7.2 mm thick, weighing in at 0.68 pounds. The 7.9-inch Multi-Touch display has 35% more screen real estate than other 7-inch tablets, and up to 67% more usable viewing area when browsing the Internet. The tablet has a dual-core A5 chip inside.

The iPad mini has dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi support for speeds up to 150 Mbps, which is twice the speed of other iPads. The Wi-Fi + Cellular models are world-ready and have built-in support for other ultrafast wireless standards such as LTE and DC-HSDPA. It can also act as a Personal Hotspot.

Here are all the pricing details and pre-order details directly from Apple:

iPad mini with Wi-Fi models will be available in black & slate or white & silver on Friday, November 2, for a suggested retail price of $329 (US) for the 16GB model, $429 (US) for the 32GB model and $529 (US) for the 64GB model. The fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi models will also be available on Friday, November 2, in black or white for a suggested retail price of $499 (US) for the 16GB model, $599 (US) for the 32GB model and $699 (US) for the 64GB model.

iPad mini and the fourth generation iPad will be sold through the Apple Online Store (Apple), Apple’s retail stores, and select Apple Authorized Resellers in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Puerto Rico, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular and fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular will start shipping a couple of weeks after the Wi-Fi models, beginning in the US on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon. iPad mini with Wi-Fi + Cellular will be offered for a suggested retail price of $459 (US) for the 16GB model, $559 (US) for the 32GB model and $659 (US) for the 64GB model. Fourth generation iPad with Wi-Fi + Cellular will be offered for a suggested retail price of $629 (US) for the 16GB model, $729 (US) for the 32GB model and $829 (US) for the 64GB model. Additionally, iPad 2 is available at $399 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi model and just $529 (US) for the 16GB Wi-Fi + 3G model where they are sold now.

Customers can begin pre-ordering all models of iPad mini and all models of the fourth generation iPad on Friday, October 26 through the Apple Online Store in the US, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Korea, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK.

Source: Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Now I don't know if I want the iPad Mini or the new iMac!?!?

The Archangel

Me too. Now I'm also confused as to whether I should sell my new iPad to get the new new iPad?...:)

darnice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Crap display, 1/2 the resolution of the Ipad 3, non retina. Droid tablets are better for less money. its basically a "cheap" Ipad 3 with a crap display form 5 years ago

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Given that the mini has the same resolution has the ipad 2, 1024 by 768, but the screen is 7.9 inchs on diagonal rather than 9.7, it does have a higher ddi, meaning that the characters will appear to have less jaggies than the iPad 2. But it won't be as nice as it's big brothers and certainly no where near the iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and the new iPod Touch.

volast001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My friend tried the iPad mini. He said that the device is very light, it's easy to drop.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Gabriel1 said:
Now I don't know if I want the iPad Mini or the new iMac!?!?

The Archangel

iMac is gorgeous!!! I am going w that or the Mac mini!!! But I don't want that old thunder display, why didn't they update that as well??

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My friend tried the iPad mini. He said that the device is very light, it's easy to drop.

I can guarantee you that if you make a device heavier it will become easier to drop. Put the mini in a case to make it more gripy.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iMac is gorgeous!!! I am going w that or the Mac mini!!! But I don't want that old thunder display, why didn't they update that as well??

Sent from my Black Verizon 64GB iPad 2 in NYC Using using iPF

Because the desktops are viewed from such a greater distance, the are effectively retina displays anyway. Also, the cost of making retina displays that large is going to get pricy, and yields are probably lower the larger you make the display. There probably are problems with uniformity, dead pixels, etc, when you attempt to make the larger. In time, it will probably be possible to get higher res screens, but apparently not today. Apple only delivers new tech then it is feasible to do so at their price points and in the volumes they hope to move, as you know.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that one of the main reasons that the iPad mini has an A5 processor and a non retina display is battery life. The new A6x processor and a retina display would use a lot of battery power, and the small case of the iPad mini doesn't have room for a large enough battery to give a 10 hour battery life under those circumstances.

deepfarrell

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I think that one of the main reasons that the iPad mini has an A5 processor and a non retina display is battery life. The new A6x processor and a retina display would use a lot of battery power, and the small case of the iPad mini doesn't have room for a large enough battery to give a 10 hour battery life under those circumstances.

Yes I agree. I have the latest iPad cellular with retina display. I previously had iPad 2. The battery life on this one is pretty poor

Most reactions

Latest posts