Maybe I Won't buy an ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Fardog, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Fardog

Fardog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Had decided that I wanted one but then I start looking through the Apple App store and then I started looking at the reviews for the various apps. It is hard to come across any app that is well liked. I'm sure there are a few, but they must be hard to find.

I was looking at spreadsheet and word processing apps. Pretty basic stuff, have been around forever, and everyone is criticizing them.

So I've been rethinking my thinking that I actually need one of these iPads.
    I have used spreadsheets and word processing since the Apple IIc and they worked very well just like Word & Excel work perfectly right now.

So why is the iPad so behind in all this.
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    First of all, welcome to the forum!

Not everybody is going to like everything. With Apple's Pages and Numbers apps, more people rate these at 5 stars than any other rating. Sure, they have limitations, but remember, the iPad is essentially a mobile consumption device. It is not merely a re-packaged laptop or netbook with a fancy touch screen. Although it can do a fairly respectable job at most things, it was not intended to fully replace a laptop.

I think them primary reason some people have regrets after buying an iPad is because they do not do their homework before they buy one and think it will be capable of performing some task and later find out that it can't.

If you have a very specific application in mind and if you absolutely must have a portable computing solution with all of the functionality of a computer, then an iPad may not be the best road to take. Its OK to not want an iPad!
  3. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    I never thought that people buy the iPad just due the Apps. I got mine to access the internet on a dime whenever and wherever I am. I need to be able to research something quick.

Works wonderfully!

Oh, and welcome!
  4. SweetPoison

SweetPoison iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +134 / 0
    No. No it is not!:D

[​IMG]
  5. robertlc

robertlc iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nobody is going to beg you to buy an iPad.
  6. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    "To each his own..."

Scott summed it up nicely. The OP really analyzed his needs and his are for computer use, sadly it's what the iPad is not. Some day maybe...

But it's users like us who will turn the table. The app store is filled with 'workarounds'. Finding solutions makes the iPad much more entertaining...
  7. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +534 / 0
    I agree with C4. But in saying that I have no issues with word processing spreadsheets etc on the iPad I just use apps that work for me. The only issue is printing and that will be resolved soon. As C4 said it's not for every one At the end of the day list down what you do on a computer and how many times a day do you do it. That may help you decide .
    I have only used my MacBook maybe once every 2 weeks and that was to sync some apps that I down loaded. I would suggest. Going to sites that specialize in app reviews and you I am. Sure find the answer to most of your wants.

Cheers col
  8. Red Tees

Red Tees iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iphone is faster than my iPad

Today is the day I must decide to keep my iPad or take it back, suffer the 10% restocking fee and buy another MacBook Pro.

I love the iPad, but I am finding it SLOW. Last night in desperation I clocked it against my iPhone and it loses every time. Is this normal? Should I expect more from a $739 purchase??

Need some feedback please.
  9. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Slow is relative. Are you clocking the 3g speed or the WiFi speed? The WiFi speed on my iPad is virtually identical to my PC that is hard-wired to the same router.

Comparing a MacBook Pro and an iPad is like comparing Apples (no pun intended) and oranges. The iPad is a great piece of technology, but it is simply not in the same league as a MacBook Pro in terms of functionality. You're the only one who knows what your requirements are.
  10. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Watching a movie will not be faster than on the iPad, turning book pages will not be faster than on the iPad, zooming through magazines will not be faster than on the iPad, songs will not play faster than on the iPad, photos will not load faster...etc.

But the bigger screen of the iPad will make enjoyment of content more intense though.:)

The iPad is NOT a computer.
  11. Prasius

Prasius iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    App store reviews are usually junk, but if you don't want one, don't buy one. Simple.
  12. Fardog

Fardog iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If the app reviews are junk, how do you know what to buy. Are there free trials?
  13. iPadCharlie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Not all reviews are junk. The people that generally post reviews are either very happy or very unhappy with the app. While some apps don't work as promised, I personally think some people give apps low ratings because the app won't do what they think it should do or what they would like it to do.

Some apps have a free "lite" version that may be hobbled in some way, but there is usually enough functionality to determine if it will suit your needs before you buy the fully functional version.

If there is no free version or lite version, you are pretty much stuck with the app once you buy it since the only way you can get your money back is if it does not work as promised or just flat out does not work at all. If you just don't like it, you are simply S.O.L.!
  14. iVan

iVan iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    The experience I have so far points to the fact that it's easier to rate an app when you don't like it than when you like it.

If ever you bought an app that displeases you, you erase it from the iPad. At that point there is a pop up dialog box that asks you to rate it.
    If you like an app you have to willfully find the review to contribute. If you have mitigated feelings you just go "Meh" and don't do a thing.

A fixed period should be determined after purchase to let users get used to the app and at the time of the first update the rating questionnaire should be sent out.
  15. Richard Rowe

Richard Rowe iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I USE my ipad most every day. I really like it at work, the instant on is super and it is easy to carry around. Word processing spread sheets email it all works great for me. I have two computers in my office I sync with one of them and carry what I need on my ipad for meetings. I have just put CARTOMAP cad on my ipad, it didnt have real good reviews, however the app works great.... its just not auto cad. The app works fine the drawing tools just work diffrent so no one wants that who uses auto cad. No one wants to be a newbe and they wonder why it can't be just like auto cad. I loaded some of my files small as they are on my ipad so I have them where I can take them anywhere in the plant and check the drawings to make sure the parts are correct. The main question is what do you expect your ipad(if you get one) to do??? Thats the question!
  16. littlebuddha

littlebuddha iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why buy an ipad, because you want one, have a use for it. There are enough apps out there to suit just about anyone. I have been into computers since early 80s when you had to write your own, and i have not bought much software over the years as i have been lucky enough to get them one way or another, also they cost to much. The ipad yes you can go jailbreak it and get your apps free but i have an ipod that i started with and i have paid for the apps i have on it and on the ipad, hell they are cheap and if one is not up to what you want you are not losing a great fortune. And you buy an ipad or you do not, they cannot be that bad for the amount that have been sold worldwide. Me i think the IPAD is one of the best things since my mum gave birth to me, and i am one really nice guy, im getting married to me next week. I enjoy reading books that i have and got the ipad just for reading them in comfort in bed on the sofa train just about anywhere, then there is video to watch anywhere, before you start with games and anyother app, i use it for my training workouts, its used 24/7 i also have a main computer a laptop notebook and pda, all of which have there use. if you cannot understand why you would want one, your on the wrong forum.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  17. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    As an FYI iOS 4 took away that "would you like to rate" question when deleting an app (I hate that). Some apps of course remind you on their own to rate/review them.... I hate that too actually.

But I do agree people will generally be more likely to post a review if they are upset with an app than if they just like it.

Also, some apps get dragged down by a bad update that is causing it to do something that is unacceptable (e.g., crash, when it didn't before the update). This, understandably so, seems to draw a large number of bad reviews and ratings.

All that said though, if you know how to weed through them, the reviews can still be very helpful.

Michael
  18. MobileSpoon

MobileSpoon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    10 reasons why you do need an iPad

Oh believe me, you want an iPad.
    You may not know it yet - but you do. Seriously.

It's fun, it's much better than a netbook, and yes, it does not replace your computer. It is not meant to replace it.

Check out some more in here:

10 reasons why any geek must get an iPad