What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maybe I Won't buy an ipad

Fardog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Had decided that I wanted one but then I start looking through the Apple App store and then I started looking at the reviews for the various apps. It is hard to come across any app that is well liked. I'm sure there are a few, but they must be hard to find.

I was looking at spreadsheet and word processing apps. Pretty basic stuff, have been around forever, and everyone is criticizing them.

So I've been rethinking my thinking that I actually need one of these iPads.
I have used spreadsheets and word processing since the Apple IIc and they worked very well just like Word & Excel work perfectly right now.

So why is the iPad so behind in all this.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
First of all, welcome to the forum!

Not everybody is going to like everything. With Apple's Pages and Numbers apps, more people rate these at 5 stars than any other rating. Sure, they have limitations, but remember, the iPad is essentially a mobile consumption device. It is not merely a re-packaged laptop or netbook with a fancy touch screen. Although it can do a fairly respectable job at most things, it was not intended to fully replace a laptop.

I think them primary reason some people have regrets after buying an iPad is because they do not do their homework before they buy one and think it will be capable of performing some task and later find out that it can't.

If you have a very specific application in mind and if you absolutely must have a portable computing solution with all of the functionality of a computer, then an iPad may not be the best road to take. Its OK to not want an iPad!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I never thought that people buy the iPad just due the Apps. I got mine to access the internet on a dime whenever and wherever I am. I need to be able to research something quick.

Works wonderfully!

Oh, and welcome!

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its OK to not want an iPad!

No. No it is not!:D

images-1.jpg

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"To each his own..."

Scott summed it up nicely. The OP really analyzed his needs and his are for computer use, sadly it's what the iPad is not. Some day maybe...

But it's users like us who will turn the table. The app store is filled with 'workarounds'. Finding solutions makes the iPad much more entertaining...

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with C4. But in saying that I have no issues with word processing spreadsheets etc on the iPad I just use apps that work for me. The only issue is printing and that will be resolved soon. As C4 said it's not for every one At the end of the day list down what you do on a computer and how many times a day do you do it. That may help you decide .
I have only used my MacBook maybe once every 2 weeks and that was to sync some apps that I down loaded. I would suggest. Going to sites that specialize in app reviews and you I am. Sure find the answer to most of your wants.

Cheers col

Red Tees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iphone is faster than my iPad

Today is the day I must decide to keep my iPad or take it back, suffer the 10% restocking fee and buy another MacBook Pro.

I love the iPad, but I am finding it SLOW. Last night in desperation I clocked it against my iPhone and it loses every time. Is this normal? Should I expect more from a $739 purchase??

Need some feedback please.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love the iPad, but I am finding it SLOW. Last night in desperation I clocked it against my iPhone and it loses every time. Is this normal?
Slow is relative. Are you clocking the 3g speed or the WiFi speed? The WiFi speed on my iPad is virtually identical to my PC that is hard-wired to the same router.

Comparing a MacBook Pro and an iPad is like comparing Apples (no pun intended) and oranges. The iPad is a great piece of technology, but it is simply not in the same league as a MacBook Pro in terms of functionality. You're the only one who knows what your requirements are.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Today is the day I must decide to keep my iPad or take it back, suffer the 10% restocking fee and buy another MacBook Pro.

I love the iPad, but I am finding it SLOW. Last night in desperation I clocked it against my iPhone and it loses every time. Is this normal? Should I expect more from a $739 purchase??

Need some feedback please.

Watching a movie will not be faster than on the iPad, turning book pages will not be faster than on the iPad, zooming through magazines will not be faster than on the iPad, songs will not play faster than on the iPad, photos will not load faster...etc.

But the bigger screen of the iPad will make enjoyment of content more intense though.:)

The iPad is NOT a computer.

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App store reviews are usually junk, but if you don't want one, don't buy one. Simple.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not all reviews are junk. The people that generally post reviews are either very happy or very unhappy with the app. While some apps don't work as promised, I personally think some people give apps low ratings because the app won't do what they think it should do or what they would like it to do.

Some apps have a free "lite" version that may be hobbled in some way, but there is usually enough functionality to determine if it will suit your needs before you buy the fully functional version.

If there is no free version or lite version, you are pretty much stuck with the app once you buy it since the only way you can get your money back is if it does not work as promised or just flat out does not work at all. If you just don't like it, you are simply S.O.L.!

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
App store reviews are usually junk, but if you don't want one, don't buy one. Simple.

If the app reviews are junk, how do you know what to buy. Are there free trials?

The experience I have so far points to the fact that it's easier to rate an app when you don't like it than when you like it.

If ever you bought an app that displeases you, you erase it from the iPad. At that point there is a pop up dialog box that asks you to rate it.
If you like an app you have to willfully find the review to contribute. If you have mitigated feelings you just go "Meh" and don't do a thing.

A fixed period should be determined after purchase to let users get used to the app and at the time of the first update the rating questionnaire should be sent out.

Richard Rowe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I USE my ipad most every day. I really like it at work, the instant on is super and it is easy to carry around. Word processing spread sheets email it all works great for me. I have two computers in my office I sync with one of them and carry what I need on my ipad for meetings. I have just put CARTOMAP cad on my ipad, it didnt have real good reviews, however the app works great.... its just not auto cad. The app works fine the drawing tools just work diffrent so no one wants that who uses auto cad. No one wants to be a newbe and they wonder why it can't be just like auto cad. I loaded some of my files small as they are on my ipad so I have them where I can take them anywhere in the plant and check the drawings to make sure the parts are correct. The main question is what do you expect your ipad(if you get one) to do??? Thats the question!

Most reactions