What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Master code reset, erase all data without computer??

JenniferGrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, so I bought my iPad used and in a hurry because I needed some sort of computer ASAP (mine got fried). I can access it (posting from it now) but I want to erase everything and make it my own. Right now, it says, "xxxx's iPad". I don't have the master key lock or whatever it is called, I didn't think to get it because I didn't know it existed. I assumed the normal passcode was all I needed. I saw another thread on how to wipe everything, but it said it needed be hooked up to a computer and iTunes. Problem: I have no computer. Is there a way to wipe/reset everything without needing a computer? I am having problems changing settings and such because everything needs a stupid master code.

Can anyone help me with this issue? It's driving me crazy. Thank you!!!

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Sit tight and someone will be along to assist you, in the meantime:

The IPad Forum is a Community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the IPad.
There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions that you have. If then you can't find the answer you are seeking, then by all means post your question. You will find many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - Discussion Forum for IPad Users It is a very simple app to navigate.
Reading the iPad Manuals is a great place to start, so please download a copy of these http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
A very informative thread from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the iPad
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us. Enjoy!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
J

JenniferGrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you, I appreciate any help you can give me...I've browsed this forum before, and it looks very helpful. Tried downloading the app, but there was some error, telling me to try later.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there's no way to wipe and reset that iPad without a computer. You could wipe it, but then you'd need a computer (with the latest iTunes) to get it fully restored and going again.

So, your only hope is to either take it to an Apple store for them to restore it and set it up for you. You could find someone with a computer to set it up, but then your iPad would be permanently tied to it. So, unless you intend on that, I believe your best bet is the Apple store.

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
J

JenniferGrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Unfortunately, there's no way to wipe and reset that iPad without a computer. You could wipe it, but then you'd need a computer (with the latest iTunes) to get it fully restored and going again.

So, your only hope is to either take it to an Apple store for them to restore it and set it up for you. You could find someone with a computer to set it up, but then your iPad would be permanently tied to it. So, unless you intend on that, I believe your best bet is the Apple store.

Good luck.

Marilyn

Hmmm, okay thank you. I don't have a proof of sale or anything. Will this be an issue if I take it into the apple store? I suppose I could wait until my parents visit during the holidays and use their MacBook. I'd rather have it tied to them than someone else I guess. Agh. You would think apple would have realized that people are using this AS a main computer...frustrating!!! :(

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't think not having a proof of sale will be a problem, they have it all on their computers anyway. But a big smile and being very friendly wouldn't go astray here. The iPad wasn't meant to replace your computer and up until now you needed one to sync to anyway and do updates. Which brings me to my next question what system is yours running on? Go into Settings - General - About, and look for version. We are running on 5.0.1 now. If yours isn't this, you will have to update. Depending on the system you have you may need a computer to do this too. Once on 5.0 all new updates can be done over the air with wifi. Hope this helps.

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, don't reset the pad because it will only display a prompt to link it to iTunes before letting you use it in any way. At least right now, you can use it. But if you have a buddy with a computer, then you could do a master reset, erase & sync. This would allow you to set it up as "new" and the way you want it. Just make sure you enable iCloud so that any songs you end up buying or media you put on it(pics, videos, apps,etc) can be put onto any other computer you eventually authorize to use that info.
I use my iPad for 99% of my computing life & desktops/laptops infuriate me! BUT relying on only a tablet computer for everything at this point is not very clever to do.
First: printing. Not everything can AirPrint.
Second: some websites have drop down scroll inter page menus which you cannot scroll down in with a touch screen(your whole screen just wants to scroll).
Third: not all sites or forums allow link pictures(IMG codes) from other places like Photobucket or Snapfish or Shutterfly onto their sites.
Fourth: a decent "Word" type document program for typing papers/reports.
Fifth: lack of a file system makes transferring anything backwards FROM your tablet TO a PC a no-go. Or uploading stuff to sites. No "C" drive.

I seriously love my pad but I really think tablets are still too early in their development to use entirely sans computer backup/sync & some applications simply don't work well enough yet. Up to this point, Apple hasn't made a stand alone mobile device that does not require iTunes setup/sync first.
I believe it's coming as now we have the Cloud & supposedly with one of the updates coming(maybe it was with OS5?) that you wouldn't need to sync with iTunes first to use your device right out of the box. But you'd need to get yours to OS5 first anyways, which would require an initial reset & sync of your used device.

Best advice:
Find a computer friend or visit an Apple Store. Erase & set as new with that computer. Update to OS 5.1. Sync with the Cloud.
Until then, use as is & just delete things & change settings you don't like.

OP
J

JenniferGrace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh god, I'm way outdated. I only have v. 4.3.5(8L1)

Okay, I guess I need to get this sorted soon.

I know it's technically not meant to replace a computer, but I needed something to access Internet and do basic things. I'm out of university & just go to the library when need-be to print stuff. I'm in a huge city, so lots of resources at my disposal.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
JenniferGrace said:
Oh god, I'm way outdated. I only have v. 4.3.5(8L1)

Okay, I guess I need to get this sorted soon.

I know it's technically not meant to replace a computer, but I needed something to access Internet and do basic things. I'm out of university & just go to the library when need-be to print stuff. I'm in a huge city, so lots of resources at my disposal.

You're really only 2 updates behind and the latest only came out 2 weeks ago, so don't worry. When you do update you will go straight to 5.0.1. The big update was 5.0 which brought with it loads of new features and you will be pleasantly surprised with a lot of them. Have a look around the forum to acquaint yourself until you get it done. Enjoy!

Nakedbabytoes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lol! No, you aren't that far behind. I just updated to OS 5.1 myself last weekend. I hadn't even synced my pad since the first time I brought it home day of release in March. So OS 4.3.
You aren't missing much really. And the iPad works fine on pretty much any OS.
No worries!

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you sure , erase something witout computer ?if you use the tool into the mobile phone directly, I think it is difficult to complete, this is a mandatory erase data, it will be very dangerous
There is no danger at all in using Settings>General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings to erase an iPad or any other iOS device. The only caution would be to make sure you backed up your device to iTunes or iCloud before erasing it.

Most reactions

Latest posts