What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marvel/DC Comics: Not Downloading

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got both the Marvel and DC Comics apps. I quickly tried to download 3-4 free comics on each. This was 4 days ago and I have zero comics downloaded. Inside the apps, in "My Comics," each comic I tried to download has a little progress bar showing maybe 20% complete. What's the deal? I realize that downloading 8 comics at once is going to make it slow but holy moley, I've left it overnight several times now. Am I doing something wrong? What's the deal?

OP
lawhawk

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is it possible you have to actually have the app open to download comics? That would be stupid but maybe that's the answer. I had assumed it could download in the background.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
lawhawk said:
Is it possible you have to actually have the app open to download comics? That would be stupid but maybe that's the answer. I had assumed it could download in the background.

That's quite possible, I have a couple of newspaper subscriptions and they will only download while the app is open.

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Both of those apps predate iOS 4.2. It's possible they never updated the apps for background downloads. You would have to check the version, revision info on their site or the App Store.

Even if they do have it, downloads have a limited time to complete in the background before iOS stops them. With that much to download you may be exceeding that limit. Annoying, I know. But the alternative is the forever downloading app in the background killing your 3G data and battery when you don't know it.

Tough call, especially for those of us with 3G iPads and plans.

Anyway, this is what I would do.

Make sure you've got some time you're willing to set the iPad asside, an hour should be more than enough. Plug it into the charger. Go into Settings >> General and turn Auto-Lock to never. Now start the app and tap on the comic books. I believe that will restart any downloads that have paused (but not 100% sure).

Now wait a frustratingly long time.

Don't forget to reset Auto-Lock when you are done.

Hope that works for you.

OP
lawhawk

lawhawk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got it to work. All I did is load up the Marvel app to the "My Comics" page and then hit the power button (or whatever you call the button on the top right edge). I left it alone for 15 minutes and all the books were downloaded. Then I repeated for the DC app and it worked the same way.

Thanks for the help twerppoet - I would have tried what you said but I got it working before your post. But you were right, it couldn't background download. I just had to let the app stay open while it was sleeping (or whatever you call it).

I really need to learn the terminology if I'm going to be an Apple fanboy!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Cool. Glad you got it working. I didn't realize the app would keep working with you left it open but put the iPad to sleep. I guess it only puts the screen to sleep.

Another theory to test when I reach that distant land of Someday.

Most reactions

Latest posts