What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marie's Backup/syncing issues with iTunes!

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
http://files.m4ko.de/applesync/

I know the problem has been mostly solved for you, but the ipad backup issue is a pain in the butt.

The offending apps that almost always cause problems are news, reader, and other types of apps that "store data"

Farmville is the most recent offender and took over an hour to backup. I found it using that app. Just put your backup directory in and you will have loads of info on what is bottlenecking the problem.

Another thing that will negate this issue is 4.2.

Simply put, the same programs on my iPhone running 4.2 do NOT have the same issues. Many a comment has been made that 4.2 backups operate in a completely different manner.

Anyway, if anyone is having an issue without their backups or just want to know why or what the cause for delay is, run that program.

Heres hoping 4.2 makes the world a whole new better place.

OP
SweetPoison

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
http://files.m4ko.de/applesync/

I know the problem has been mostly solved for you, but the ipad backup issue is a pain in the butt.

The offending apps that almost always cause problems are news, reader, and other types of apps that "store data"

Farmville is the most recent offender and took over an hour to backup. I found it using that app. Just put your backup directory in and you will have loads of info on what is bottlenecking the problem.

Another thing that will negate this issue is 4.2.

Simply put, the same programs on my iPhone running 4.2 do NOT have the same issues. Many a comment has been made that 4.2 backups operate in a completely different manner.

Anyway, if anyone is having an issue without their backups or just want to know why or what the cause for delay is, run that program.

Heres hoping 4.2 makes the world a whole new better place.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully, when the new OS hits, all will be happy campers!

ChipRodgers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FINALLY Got to upgrade to iOS 4.2

This is crazy... but my iPad backup was running for over 20hrs and NEVER completed successfully. This meant I was not able to upgrade to 4.2 because iTunes FORCES a backup before the upgrade.

Yesterday I was completely frustrated. I did all the things people are talking about on this forum to solve it: Deleted magazine apps, deleted GooodReader and all files, used the original iPad cable, uninstalled and reinstalled iTunes, did a hard reboot of my iPad, etc, etc. NOTHING CHANGED ANYTHING. Still was running for 20hrs and finally just stopped. (Of course this took up lots of my time over the last week trying new things and letting the backup run unsuccessfully -- and very frustrating.)

But yesterday a friend on Twitter suggested using an app called BackOff. It's online here and is free: www (dot) digidna (dot) net /products /backoff

It WORKED! At least it turned off the automatic backup on iTunes. So when I ran the upgrade, it skipped the forced backup and went right to the upgrade and WORKED fine.

So now at least I have 4.2 on my iPad. Now I'm going to try running a separate backup of my iPad and see if the new iOS helps with backups speed... Who knows?

Anyway... it's not a perfect solution because I still don't have a backup, but at least I now have iPad folders, multitasking, printing, and all the nifty goodies on 4.2... :)

Most reactions