What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps Issue

FireRunt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the New iPad, but this might happen one the others as well. I am running iOS 5.1.1

I live in New York, keep this in mind.

If I click on an address that's in one of my email accounts in the Mail app, the maps application opens. *It then renames the street and shows me an address in another state or in Canada.

For instance, let's take a road called Denton Avenue in Garden City, New York

If the email says 1 Denton Ave, I get 1 Detton Ave in South Carolina for instance. The iPad knows where I am, shouldn't it show a location close to me, or at least in the same State?

what's even stranger is that on top of the maps app, in the search bar, the correct address shows that was in the email.

My Location is on and it always is. *If I type 1 Denton Ave into maps, I get the correct location.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FireRunt said:
I have the New iPad, but this might happen one the others as well. I am running iOS 5.1.1

I live in New York, keep this in mind.

If I click on an address that's in one of my email accounts in the Mail app, the maps application opens. *It then renames the street and shows me an address in another state or in Canada.

For instance, let's take a road called Denton Avenue in Garden City, New York

If the email says 1 Denton Ave, I get 1 Detton Ave in South Carolina for instance. The iPad knows where I am, shouldn't it show a location close to me, or at least in the same State?

what's even stranger is that on top of the maps app, in the search bar, the correct address shows that was in the email.

My Location is on and it always is. *If I type 1 Denton Ave into maps, I get the correct location.

Google maps is not the most accurate, for searching, there are many mistakes , street names spelt incorrectly etc

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FireRunt said:
Guess you didn't bother to even read my question......

If you think he has misunderstood you, please clarify where the misunderstanding is. I think his point about Google Maps is valid.

OP
F

FireRunt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What???? no one is reading my question.

If I click a link in an email of a street address, it opens the maps app. The address that it pinpoints is renamed and in a different state. The correct address is shown in the search box on top of the maps app. if I press enter in that box, it shows the correct address.

Do you understand?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I, too have had the same happen to me. I don't know how to explain it, except to say that it's a glitch. I don't get it all the time but it's darn annoying! The only thing I have found to fix it is to manually enter the address myself, as you've done. In fact, now that I think of it, this happens a lot when I try to use the AroundMe app...

So, I have no help or solution - just sympathy and the knowledge that you are not alone (or imagining things). :)

Marilyn

Last edited:

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
FireRunt said:

If I click a link in an email of a street address, it opens the maps app. The address that it pinpoints is renamed and in a different state. The correct address is shown in the search box on top of the maps app. if I press enter in that box, it shows the correct address.

Do you understand?

Of course we understand, but what you need to realize is that not every one on this forum is from America, the English language is similar but accents and the way we correspond are not the same in English speaking countries.
Back to our issue, Google maps is not perfect, I actually took the time to verify your method and tested my own address book entries and it took me to a destination in England, I then added commas between street names and added a city and not a suburb then it found the address on the map.
My conclusion is the same it is not accurate.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FireRunt said:

Do you understand?

So I gather the assumption from this is either the iPad/app is not parsing the address correctly to Google Maps or, more likely, Google have a glitch in their process after receiving the address data. This is more likely due to the correct address showing in the search bar.

Bosvaark

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
So I gather the assumption from this is either the iPad/app is not parsing the address correctly to Google Maps or, more likely, Google have a glitch in their process after receiving the address data. This is more likely due to the correct address showing in the search bar.

That's it, even doing a google search on a business and if they have an address on their website , you click on the address it normally opens google maps, sometimes it gets the location of the address incorrect , this is not the only glitch , I often paste GPS coordinates into the search area and It often is also incorrect , I check this with a genuine GPS app and you notice then it is incorrect.

OP
F

FireRunt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then why does it work normally on my iTouch?

I click on a street address in the exact same email on both devices and get the correct location on the iTouch and get a place in England on the iPad. Both are connected to the same wifi router. Both are running the same software.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts