What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maps app doesn't work

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi
I got a brand new iPad mini for a week and it works nice, I'm still new at Apple products and I'm enjoying it very much.
It happens that Maps does not show up, the app opes but it only shows the grid and the line corresponding to the route and the information necessary for the road (turn left, turn right etc). The software is updated so I don't know what to do. It does not seem it is some malfuncioning.
I hope someone may help me.
Thank you very much

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi
I got a brand new iPad mini for a week and it works nice, I'm still new at Apple products and I'm enjoying it very much.
It happens that Maps does not show up, the app opes but it only shows the grid and the line corresponding to the route and the information necessary for the road (turn left, turn right etc). The software is updated so I don't know what to do. It does not seem it is some malfuncioning.
I hope someone may help me.
Thank you very much
Is your internet connection working properly? Apple Maps requires an Internet connection to Cache the maps for offline use.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, internet connection is working fine.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe one of the usual fixes will help:

Restart your device - turn it off and on again.

Reset it - press and hold Home and Power button simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, let go of both, the iPad will power up on it's own.

Force close the Maps app: double tap the Home button to show the multitasking bar. Slide the picture above the Maps app icon towards the top of the screen.

You could also try switching to a different option (standard - hybrid - satellite).

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I turn it off when I'm a few hours not using it; did not force the close the Maps as it closes without problem; I've already switched to different options; seems the only thing I did'nt do yet is the reset.
I'm posting an image of the Maps app.

Attachments

• mapa.jpg
    mapa.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 485

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Force closing is not the same as simply closing. You should give it a try as well.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do I force closing? Slide the picture above the Maps app icon towards the top of the screen is the way I close the apps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I turn it off when I'm a few hours not using it; did not force the close the Maps as it closes without problem; I've already switched to different options; seems the only thing I did'nt do yet is the reset.
I'm posting an image of the Maps app.

The dark gray grid is what you get when the Maps app is trying to download satellite imagery. If you have a slow or problematic internet connection this can be very slow.

Tap the (i) icon at the bottom right of the screen and choose Standard. This will give you a more generic map that is much faster to load. If it fails to load you'll see a tan grid instead of a gray one, and your problem is almost guaranteed to be that you do not have an internet connection, or maybe the Maps serves are being blocked; though I don't know of any country or situation in which that would be likely.

You can test that by opening Safari or another internet app and checking to see if it works.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I switched to the standard option and it shows the tan grid;
checked the internet connection which is working properly (I really don't know the recommended internet speed for these apps).

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been checking all the location services, they are turned on; my country stands on the roll of standard maps; just tried every suggestion again except the reset option - I wanted to try everything before that.
Last week, before I come here, I reported the situation through the app and now I found the diagnostic data which I don't understand a thing except it says somewhere "bug type". So, this is it, I don't know what to do.:(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The reset (holding down the power and home button until the Apple Logo appears) won't break or delete anything. If that's what you are waiting on, just do it and see if it helps.

If you are talking about restoring through iTunes, then yes, try everything else first.

OP
Maga

Maga

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just did it! It works fine!! Thank you very much :)for your Help!

Most reactions

Latest posts