What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Map application

Mctoshy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How does one get ones location plotted on a map? I keep getting a message telling me that my location cannot be found. my suspicion is that I have not set the Ipad2 up correctly so any suggestions would be appreciated

Mctoshy

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum. What type of iPad do you have? Only iPads with 3G have built in GPS. If you don't have 3G then the iPad 'tries' to work out its position by using Apple's database of WiFi hotspot locations. If you're not connected to WiFi or your WiFi is not registered with Apple, then the iPad cannot determine its location.

Tim

OP
M

Mctoshy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Tim

Many thanks for your reply.

My Ipad2 doesnt have the 3g facility so your comments would suggest the map application wont plot my location.

I am on holiday in Devon at the moment and our accommodation has an in built wifi facility and still I cant get my location plotted.

Would I be correct that one has to have the BTFon facility enabled before this would work?

Regards

McToshy

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have moved their database of WiFi hotspot locations from a commercial server to one of their own recently. Unless the hotspot where you are staying has been entered into the Apple database - either intentionally by the owners (unlikely) - or unintentionally, by someone using a GPS-enabled iPad or iPhone in the vicinity of that WiFi hotspot (more likely) you'll be unable to retrieve your position.

The radio frequency circuitry used by GPS and 3G is very similar, so it's incorporated into the same chipset in the iPad - which is the 3G chipset - thus meaning no GPS for WiFi iPads.

Tim

Mrazmaniac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple have moved their database of WiFi hotspot locations from a commercial server to one of their own recently. Unless the hotspot where you are staying has been entered into the Apple database - either intentionally by the owners (unlikely) - or unintentionally, by someone using a GPS-enabled iPad or iPhone in the vicinity of that WiFi hotspot (more likely) you'll be unable to retrieve your position.

The radio frequency circuitry used by GPS and 3G is very similar, so it's incorporated into the same chipset in the iPad - which is the 3G chipset - thus meaning no GPS for WiFi iPads.

Tim

I have the same problem as the threadstarter. But im just wondering why my iPod touch is able to locate me on maps just fine over the same adhoc wifi connection but my iPad can't. I mean following what you just explained, if my hotspot is not registered or something in apples database then wh.y can my iPod touch locate me just fine? Thanks in advance

GlenL

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mrazmaniac said:
I have the same problem as the threadstarter. But im just wondering why my iPod touch is able to locate me on maps just fine over the same adhoc wifi connection but my iPad can't. I mean following what you just explained, if my hotspot is not registered or something in apples database then wh.y can my iPod touch locate me just fine? Thanks in advance

Perhaps the iPod touch is finding other wifi hotspots around you (even though you are not connected to them) and using those to locate your location.

Most reactions