What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Managing .pdf files in iBook through iTunes.

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 64GB iPad 2 is being filled up with loads of pdf service manuals that I use when repairing electronics gear. The crazy thing is that most .PDF files are secured meaning I can't join them together using a program called Preview on my Mac. It means I have around 50 individual .PDF 'booklets' for the one piece of gear.

Has anyone a way of joining PDF files so they would show on the iPad in iBooks under one thumbnail?

It would be great if Apple could include this feature to iTunes so that it became a simple drag and drop to place a group of PDFs under one Heading and therefore cleanup a busy and confusing looking iPad 2 iBook shelf.

Any thoughts anyone?

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wolfpuppies3 said:
will do it for you. On your Mac.

So you are suggesting I must 'invest' in Adobe's Mac FULL version of their Reader? The free version won't even allow file joining. At least i can do that using the bundled with OSX Preview albeit only with separate unsecured files. There isn't any other way to do something so basis and fundamental that iTunes should be doing?

Seems to be a very non-cost-effective route especially as this is for really for my hobby not my work. The last time I priced Adobe's Full Version Reader I feel off my chair!

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GoodReader is a great app for handling PDF's, you can sort them into files and label them how you like. GoodReader also supports "file sharing" in iTunes, so you can grab things off of your desk top and drop them in. I haven't used that feature yet, but the instructions are all in the app. I think it's only five bucks.

iBooks might support "file sharing" but I'd have to check. All apps that do show up toward the bottom of the app screen when you hook your iPad up to iTunes.

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Morris,

Have you tired something like these directions...

How to merge pdf files with preview in Leopard

Yes that's why i posted here. Preview is not able to merge .pdfs that have been security locked...

So far i have found a program that unlocks that security but Preview still does not allow a merge of one entire .pdf file containing a number of pages with another also containing a number of pages.

Not all has been lost though. One quite large collection of separate .pdf files which is the entire repair manual for a piece of gear i am responsible for has just been processed by a friend who used the full version of Adobe Acrobat Pro. He used the files that i'd 'hacked' the security lockout from and has managed to Merge them all into one. Originally i had 9 separate .pdfs on my iPad and now i have the one which i can simply 'flow' through pinch zooming on those really complex wiring diagrams (schematics).

This is the hoot with the iPad. Servicing equipment always meant i had a huge book with pull-out yard-long diagrams and no space on the workbench. It's fantastic using an iPad now... all that room to work!

OP
MorrisTheCat

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jeeper said:
GoodReader is a great app for handling PDF's, you can sort them into files and label them how you like. GoodReader also supports "file sharing" in iTunes, so you can grab things off of your desk top and drop them in. I haven't used that feature yet, but the instructions are all in the app. I think it's only five bucks.

iBooks might support "file sharing" but I'd have to check. All apps that do show up toward the bottom of the app screen when you hook your iPad up to iTunes.

Thanks for the info Jeeper. Amongst the .PDFs on my iPad are all the service manuals for my custom Offroader as seen in my Avatar. as a vehicle it's built out of the front halves of old Range Rovers chassis, the axels flipped over because the wee V8 is now in the trunk and everything is reversed. the body is the recovered remains of a 1941 Willis military Jeep but it was so rusted out there's probably more new steel in it than original.. The machine is road legal too so I often take it to my work in in the city!

I take my iPad along on any off road trips mounted in tuffcase and with GPS tracking App check on where I've been....

Jeeper

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow, that's a crazy build! Gone are my days of hardcore fabricating, but I'm enjoying the heck out of my '06 Jeep LJ. Simple Edge Products Trail Jammer performance kit and some trusty 31" BFGs.

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Take a look at this. The coupon for $10.00 off is via a Mac World email from a few days ago. Both below also have free trial download.

http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpen/index.html

Price before coupon code $59.00
NEED TO MERGE PAGES FROM SEVERAL PDF FILES TOGETHER?
Open the files in PDFpen and drag the pages you need from each into a new document
With PDFpen, you can easily edit your PDFs! Add text, images, and signatures. Make corrections. OCR scanned documents. Great for filling out PDF forms too! Download the free demo and try it out today.
Special offer for Macworld readers:
Save $10 on PDFpen!
To get $10 off the full version of PDFpen (reg. $59.95) or PDFpenPro (reg. $99.95), click here or use the coupon code MACWORLD611. The offer is valid through June 20, 2011.

Or look at PDF Pro @ $99
http://smilesoftware.com/PDFpenPro/index.html

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

JWKessler

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MorrisTheCat said:
Yes that's why i posted here. Preview is not able to merge .pdfs that have been security locked...

So far i have found a program that unlocks that security but Preview still does not allow a merge of one entire .pdf file containing a number of pages with another also containing a number of pages.work!

Have you tried opening those PDFs in Preview, then printing them as PDFs (with a new file name of course). This "might" produce an unlocked version of the original.

Most reactions

Latest posts