What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Managing Multiple iPads

LibraryBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I work as backup IT in a small public library. Soon we will add 25 iPads for patron use. I'm looking for tips on issues others have encountered, solutions, and any useful insights to managing that many iPads for public use.
Thanks, much appreciated by me and on behalf of our patrons.

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I work as backup IT in a small public library. Soon we will add 25 iPads for patron use. I'm looking for tips on issues others have encountered, solutions, and any useful insights to managing that many iPads for public use.
Thanks, much appreciated by me and on behalf of our patrons.
Welcome to the forum Bob! There are a lot of great people here willing to lend a hand anytime. Often using the Advanced Search box (at the top of every page) will lead you to the answers you're looking for. If not, feel free to post a question in the appropriate area.

Please take a moment to view the information here to get the most out of your iPad as well as our forum:

Forum Rules - Please read
Hacking Rules - Please read
iPad for Beginners
Free iPad User Manuals
Download The Official iPad Forum App

BTW, I gave your post its own thread where you’re likely to get a better response.

Welcome again and enjoy!

OP
LibraryBob

LibraryBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, and thanks. Sync carts seem to be the way to go.
IPhone configuration utility (IPCU) offers hope for safeguarding some settings, and restoring quickly and easily...haven't tried it yet though.
Anyone familiar with IPCU and iPads?

capaloha

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bob,

Did you find a solution that works for you at the library (with the 25 iPads). I don't have that many (six), but thought you might be able to tell us what you are using. I'm in a small contracting company, and I don't own all the iPads (everyone brings their own), so I'm not sure what I should be doing. Any advice is welcome.

capaloha

OP
LibraryBob

LibraryBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
capaloha,
We haven't gotten them yet, may be a few more months yet.
There will be issues to resolve for sure.
From digging around on the Internet I have learned that the iPhone Configuration Utility (IPCU) offers solutions to some of the possible problems;
- Locking down some of the most important settings.
- Controlling which wireless service and network the library devices hook up to, for example it wouldn't be very nice if they 6:00 some unsecured network in a nearby home.
I put IPCU on my home computer (win 7) and tested it on my old iPod Touch using the current version of iOS, and it worked great, easy to use, really blocks what it says it will, easy to undo...PROVIDED you set up each configuration profile to be removeable with a password..and you must be super careful entering the password in ICPU when you are setting up the profile......you don't get to do a second verification entry after you type it in.
Another possible issue we haven't figured out is jailbreaking...if i read things right, it appears that there is at least one jailbreaking website the will do this just by visiting the website and following a few simple steps...so far this seems to be for older versions of iOS, but I'd bet they catch up...(if anyone knows this to be accurate I'd appreciate a note)
There are several useful descriptions of iPad deployment out there on the web, and that search term worked pretty well.

OP
LibraryBob

LibraryBob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
LibraryBob said:
capaloha,
We haven't gotten them yet, may be a few more months yet.
There will be issues to resolve for sure.
From digging around on the Internet I have learned that the iPhone Configuration Utility (IPCU) offers solutions to some of the possible problems;
- Locking down some of the most important settings.
- Controlling which wireless service and network the library devices hook up to, for example it wouldn't be very nice if they 6:00 some unsecured network in a nearby home.
I put IPCU on my home computer (win 7) and tested it on my old iPod Touch using the current version of iOS, and it worked great, easy to use, really blocks what it says it will, easy to undo...PROVIDED you set up each configuration profile to be removeable with a password..and you must be super careful entering the password in ICPU when you are setting up the profile......you don't get to do a second verification entry after you type it in.
Another possible issue we haven't figured out is jailbreaking...if i read things right, it appears that there is at least one jailbreaking website the will do this just by visiting the website and following a few simple steps...so far this seems to be for older versions of iOS, but I'd bet they catch up...(if anyone knows this to be accurate I'd appreciate a note)
There are several useful descriptions of iPad deployment out there on the web, and that search term worked pretty well.

"they 6:00 some unsecured network in a nearby home". ..was as supposed to read, " they use some unsecured network in a nearby home"...sorry! Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts