What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Managing more than one iPad with computer

ashraf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an iPad that I manage through my laptop. Now I'm planning to buy another one for a friend who isn't comfortable with setting up an iTunes account, preparing the iPad, etc. I'm thinking maybe I can use my laptop to sync his new iPad. I've read somewhere that I can have up to two iPads managed by the same iTunes in one computer.

How can I do that?
Can I transfer apps from my iPad to his using iTunes?
Can I de-register his iPad later, after I'm done with it?

Thanks

Ash

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, you can sync multiple iPads to one iTunes account. It will require you to use one computer, though. So are you going to sync your friend's device every time? What is he going to do about backups?

I have four iPads synced to my iTunes account and laptop -- one of them I gave away to someone on another continent. That person is super computer lame and uses only a handful of apps, mostly email and surfing. I'll update firmware the next time we see each other.

If you do sync for him, you just plug in the iPad and iTunes will ask whether you want to restore with the same backup as your iPad. You say yes just so you set up the iPad for the first time. Then you can backup and sync again, clicking only the apps you want for that iPad. Your iTunes will be able to identify which iPad is which, and you keep separate preferences for each device. You can do likewise with iPhones and touches, though iPad-only apps won't transfer.

No need to deregister him, because he won't have your password or your computer to sync on his own.

Thing is, how will your friend buy apps without an iTunes account? Will he have to rely on you for everything? What a pain, for him and you. It works for my relative only because she uses so few apps. She's computer impaired. English also is her second language. Is your friend that hamstrung?

Last edited:

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The other thing to consider though, is any software updates have to be done via iTunes sync and a computer. So unless you see the person enough, the person could never have the latest update. Some of them are minor updates, but some of them have major improvements and they'll never have access to them which is too bad.

Reaction score
What I did to keep my Ipad and my wife's totally separate was create another windows user for my iTunes account and my wife and children use the "owner" user with iTunes on it. That way we don't have to keep track of whose app is which since we have different iTunes accounts.
I saved the Ipad firmware update so accessible to all users so I don't have to download it twice to update both Ipads
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

manitou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I did to keep my Ipad and my wife's totally separate was create another windows user for my iTunes account and my wife and children use the "owner" user with iTunes on it. That way we don't have to keep track of whose app is which since we have different iTunes accounts.
I saved the Ipad firmware update so accessible to all users so I don't have to download it twice to update both Ipads
Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

I do the same thing with our two iPhones. Created another user on the MacBook Pro, then when she syncs her phone it's as if she has her own computer with all things iTunes (apps, music, etc.)

OP
A

ashraf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for all, I really appreciate your responses, and there are some nice ideas here!

Well, my friend isn't that impaired, and it would be important for him to be able to update his iPad on his own later.

So, I guess I'm going to create a separate Windows user on my laptop, so that the backup files go to separate user folders. Then I will create a new Apple ID for iTunes. After the initial sync and backup, I will ship the iPad to him, and tell him to use his Apple ID onwards.

Will that work? I guess it should.

Thanks everyone again.

Most reactions

Latest posts